Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

English Springer Spaniel Puppy - eating rocks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sprongers, May 23, 2020 at 8:04 AM.

1. Sprongers

Sprongers PetForums Newbie

I’m new and hopefully have posted this in the right place... We have a 9 week old ESS who has been with us a week and we’re having real issues with brick/rock eating. He’s not left in the garden unsupervised but hunts out all the stones and rocks... We are working on the drop command (getting better), distraction works sometimes too, and we’re working on finding and removing all the rocks/old bricks in the garden (it’s an old country garden so this is tough but we’re trying!) and spraying the cement stairs with a vinegar solution to make them less appealing. He has bones and other chew toys too. He gets as much training and exercise as a 9 week old can have but I’ve become so worried seeing brick fragments in his poo. He doesn’t seem to have a blockage at all... we’re trying really hard but does anyone have any more advice or something we’re not trying? Is this an emergency vet visit?!

2. Drewy

Drewy PetForums Newbie

I wouldn't be taking him to the vet unless he displays a physical symptom that causes you to be genuinely concerned.

Spaniels are lovely but notorious for sniffing out anything that it can eat. They just have energy burn. A friends spaniel used to do the same but grew out of it. He soon moved on to apples and other food related items he could (and couldn't) fit in his mouth.

Sprongers and NyxTheGSD like this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Puppies explore the world with their mouths so this is a common problem.

I know you says you supervise but maybe look at the purpose of your puppy’s time in the garden. If he’s out there to toilet, take him out on a lead so you can keep him away from problem areas. If he’s out there to play think about how you can make a game with you more fun than seeking out rocks to chew on.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

That's what puppies do I'm afraid. We have large areas of gravel in our garden and it's always a worry when I have a puppy. Either take him outside on a lead or buy a puppy pen to put on your lawn or paved area. In the past we've fenced off a suitable area of the garden with a cheap roll of chicken wire and some push in stakes until said puppy can be trusted. One of my collies used to bring 1 piece of gravel into the conservatory every time she went outside until she was about a year old.

5. Sprongers

Thank you, this seems quite obvious now you’ve said it but I think we can be clearer about toilet time vs play time and will ensure he’s on a lead for toilet time! Really helpful

6. Sprongers

Thanks, we tried the pen too but he went a bit mad in that, we’re now using the pen to block off the most gravelly/old bricky part of the garden instead! Will definitely try on the leash. Think it’s all best efforts but this is my first dog that I’ve owned having grown up with spaniels and I’m just worried about everything!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice