Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Enforcing the come command with a long leash.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mufti, Jun 8, 2010.

1. mufti

mufti PetForums Junior

Our lovely little Rottie Baxter is now 8 months old and has started to develop selective hearing when off leash if another dog is around when I call him to come lol :p

Previous to starting adolescence his recall was 95% and I would always reward with a treat and or praise and never made the come command negative by putting him back on lead or telling him off if he didn't comply straight away. Anyway I have got myself a 10 meter loose leash so when he decides to ignore I can tug/drag him back :D Im just wondering what's the correct way to use a long leash in training? i.e if I call him to come and he ignores me and then I reel him in with the line should I still praise and or give a treat or only when he complies?

Thank's :D

#1 mufti, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. mental_i_am

mental_i_am PetForums Newbie

The way I see it, you never want Come to connect with something bad. Recall should mean super duper awesome fun time for a dog, so when they hear that special word its so wonderful!!

So you wait until he's near the end of the 10 metres (don't let the lead pull though) and yell "Baxter Come!" give him 1/2 a second to respond, then start reeling him in, as soon as he starts trotting in your direction I would be going "Oh yay good boy!" happy happy voice, then lots of treat and praise when he gets to you. You're basically conditioning that the word come = coming to you, always, and it means something awesome :D!!

Another fun recall game you can do with a friend, get them to hold onto Baxter and you walk past with something really yummy smelling in your hand. Then RUN off! Your friend continues to keep a tight hold of Baxter untill he hears that magic word when you yell "Baxter Come!!", He'll come racing to you and get loads of praise and treats.

One thing you should be careful of with a long lead though is making sure it doesn't get tangle in their legs or anyone else.

3. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

Hi,

Good question and good on you for getting a long line and going back to basics with him :thumbup: (click and treat for you! :p Do you like choccies? :p)

With regards to your question about the long line. Yes, personally I would reward him even if you do have to gently guide him back to you (just make sure he is wearing a harness with his longline though).

The main important thing with adolescents I think is really making the effort to make yourself super interesting- the most interesting thing there is going.

So when you call him, don't just call him. Be really exciting; starting running in the opposite direction and vary your rewards too. Use really high value stuff (liver cake, sausage etc). Is he toy motivated? If so you could use toys as a reward- like a good game of tug when he comes back to you for instance.

Call him when you are at home too. Hide and seek type games are also really good for reinforcing recalls.

The following article explains all of this far better so may be worth a read:
    Why won’t my dog come back? – David Ryan CCAB

Hope this helps :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice