Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Energy Burst after a walk - Spanador

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ed Bateman, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Ed Bateman

Ed Bateman PetForums Newbie

Hi, first time poster here.

I have a Spanador (Cocker/Lab mix) who is 9 months old and full of character.

Sometimes, like today, after a 2 hour walk when we get back to the house he seems to go a bit crazy, quick darts from side to side. Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before? Any ideas why he does it or what it could be from? After 2 hours i would have expected to want nothing more than his bed. On shorter walks he can show signs of excitement too but maybe not to this level.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why he might behave like this? Soon after he will be asleep on the couch...

Thanks

#1 Ed Bateman, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Plenty of times! It's called the zoomies!.:D

I have an 18 month old Mini Schnauzer and at least once a day he'll leap around like a lunatic and do all kinds of contortions on my sofa! It usually lasts around 5 minutes then he'll go back to normal and very often then fall asleep.:rolleyes:

Don't worry about it. It's perfectly normal and eventually he'll grow out of doing it.

3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

That's just a crazy moment, in my view - my first Lab did it (usually in the garden, mind you); my current (older) dog has done a few 'dizzies' (as we call them) and my Sprocker has a had a couple. They all did it as adults as well - we only had the first one as a pup and she would do it when she was given some French bread! I think there may be a nervous element to it - in the video he seemed to start when you spoke in a fairly stern voice to him (I'm not criticisng the tone of voice, just tying the two together.) I'm sure there will be others with a view on this (and I'll also be interested to hear what people think.)

As an observation, it might also be because he's overtired. A 2 hour walk is far too long for a 9 month old puppy - the general rule of thumb these days is about 5 mins per month of age, up to twice per day. My adult (7 year old) Sprocker only gets about 100-120 mins per day. Importantly, too much exercise at young an age can actually do damage to the physical development of the puppy - such damage will not be immediately apparent, but will potentially haunt them in older age. Please see this URL, but if you Google 'dog growth plates' or similar you will find other similar articles: https://www.puppyculture.com/new-appropriate-exercise.html.

#3 Ian246, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. Ed Bateman

Thanks a lot, it's good to know that it's not unusual

5. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Junior

I fostered a spaniel who would do this upon our return from every walk. In his case, he enjoyed walks but also found them stressful. He was relieved to get home, where he felt comfortable and safe. This release of tension caused zoomies. Spanners are often sensitive so his walks were a little overwhelming and he had to be on alert. When he got home, he could let go and relax. At least, that’s certainly what it felt like to me...

Ed Bateman, Sairy, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ed Bateman

Thanks very much, that actually makes a lot of sense and I believe is most likely the case. Our road is very busy and especially at night when it's dark there is plenty of reason to be on edge.
    He is jumpy by nature and I hope we can help him relax

7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Cadvan always does post-walk zoomies, but especially if it's wet/ windy :D

Ed Bateman likes this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

When Loki is wet it's a race against time to get his fleece on before he zooms around drying his body on the sofa as he goes.

Ed Bateman and Sairy like this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Was just about to say similar :)
    Zoomies are exceptionally common behavior, especially in younger dogs. It's harmless fun, just blowing off steam.
    They're also a common behavior after a stressful or conflicted event like a bath (I love the petting, hate the water). It could be that he finds walks very fun, but also a little stressful so when it's over he decompresses with a quick zoomie.

As an aside, in our house we have a rule that zoomies are an outside activity - no indoor zoomies please! Our dogs are slightly bigger :D

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Over stimulation perhaps. My Lab still gets sent to his crate after a walk as he finds it hard to "come down" after a walk and will usually go into thief mode and steal anything that isn't nailed down in order to keep some sort of activity going. And much like an over tired toddler once you get him still he's out like a light. I don't think Spen is overwhelmed or anything, just that once he's switched on that off switch is a little bit sticky and he needs a little help to flick it lol.

Bugsys grandma, Sairy and Sarah H like this.
  11. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Others have said it already, it's actually because he's tired rather then needing more exercise. Exercise increases cortisol which helps the dog release energy into the bloodstream. So after a walk your dog has some excess energy in their body that they need to get rid of, and in your dog's case he has the zoomies!!!!!
    I tend to try and funnel that into something less manic, like a snuffle mat or scatter feeding to try and bring them down rather than keep them high!

Ed Bateman likes this.
  12. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

And, like @Ian246 said, two hour walks are really too much for a dog who hasn't physically matured. I just didn't want that point to get lost in the discussion. Until his bones and joints are formed you should cut back - even after he is grown you would be at risk of developing a very fit adrenaline junkie athlete that you cannot tire regardless of how much walking you do. So maybe look into something like scentwork which is fabulous for tiring his brain - far more so than physical exercise.

13. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Missed the age. Definitely need to limit the physical exercise more at that age. As an adult there's nothing wrong with that length of time if that's what you want to do, just don't expect it to tire him out, they get used to it. We used to do 2 to 2 and a half hours daily. We usually do about 90 minutes now as things have changed. And those 2 and a half hours never really tired Spen. A 20 minute scent games session worked FAR better in that respect.

14. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

And there's me deliberately trying to instigate a bout of zoomies in Holly by chasing her from room to room in the house with little regard for household objects and furniture :Hilarious

I absolutely love zoomies and am so glad Holly still has them from time to time. Yesterday morning she and I went out into the garden to have a break from screaming baby (Nik had him) and had a bit of a zoomathon :D

Amanda Mower, Sarah H, O2.0 and 4 others like this.
  15. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm another one who loves zoomies!

I live in an old house where all the rooms lead off each other and it's a straight run from my living room to my bedroom. The first two puppies I owned were 6 months old when we had a metre of snow which left us house bound for nearly a month. The only place we could walk outside was a short narrow path from the front door to the woodshed.so any training was done in the house.

To work off some of their energy, I used to encourage them to have zoomies! I cleared furniture out of the way in all the rooms so they were able to race from the living room, through the kitchen, onto my bed where they had a bounce around, then back through the living room and onto the sofa!

By the time they'd finished they were usually exhausted and slept for an hour or so afterwards!

Amanda Mower, Ed Bateman and Sairy like this.
  16. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

"Up on the couch, Spen's getting silly!" is a cue Jack knows lol. It's not often zoomies happen in the house here, they're usually reserved for in the garden, but when they do a small child usually goes flying along with the table, chairs and anything else. For obvious reasons we prefer they don't happen in the house lol.

17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

The zoomies are a joy to watch, especially in an older dog (I don't mean geriatric, just adult). They are so clearly such a happy thing, I love seeing it.

18. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I'm just going to leave these here:

Zoomies at the top of a mountain

Snow zoomies

Zoomies on a walk

19. Ed Bateman

Thanks so much for all of the responses, it is very reassuring and now I will enjoy Zoomies instead of worrying about them!
    I will definitely look up scent games, that sounds interesting and not something i have heard of yet.
    The point about the long walk is well noted, we had no idea it could be a bad thing while he is seeming to love being out and never tiring, we will definitley limit from now on and change the focus of his exercise.
    This forum has been very helpful, thanks to everyone :)

Amanda Mower, Magyarmum and Sairy like this.
  20. Claire Scarborough

Claire Scarborough PetForums Junior

Oh yes my dog has a mad dash she runs from one side of my flat to another bounces off my living room chair and back. It’s hilarious

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice