Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

'Energetic Puppy'

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by 1979, Aug 22, 2013.

1. 1979

1979 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    My partner has a 9 week old dalmatian puppy.
    She is a lovely dog!
    She is fed a small bowl of dry complete puppy food at about 8am, Some goats milk at about 12.30 and then the same as the am meal around 4.30pm
    At about 6pm she has an hour to 90 minutes of going nuts, nipping and jumping around like a lunatic.
    She doesnt have this in the morning. 100% different animal!
    Any suggestions? switch the meals around?

2. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

At 9 weeks old she should be on 3 feeds a day really, 15 hours is a long time for the pup to go without food.
    ETA- 4 feeds even, not 3

#2 Nataliee, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Your pup needs at least 3 meals a day - many people would say 4, but I think 3 is just fine.

There is no reason for her to have goats milk really.

What food is he fed? If it's Bakers or similar (coloured kibble?) then most people find their dogs are hyper on this.

4. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

At 9 weeks she should be having proper 4 meals a day, this should be reduced at about 3/4 months then 6/7 months again...

What kibble is she fed?

She's just expending energy, puppies will have mad hours or half hours :)that's what puppies do....

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

4 meals a day at this age and the wall of death continues into adolescence and beyond................. ;)

6. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

yep I have a puppy with mad 30 minute tendancies I think it's funny :thumbup:

7. 1979

1979 PetForums Newbie

8. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

It's not a bad food in my opinion. There is much better out there for similar price though.
    Definitely up her meals to at least 3...

9. 1979

1979 PetForums Newbie

Could you give me a rough schedule and dosing?

10. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

My little Jack Russell is fed at 8am ish, 1.30pm ish and 6pm. I haven't been using the guidelines to be honest - just using my eye to measure.

11. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

My pup was an 'evening dog' too! From the first I had her she would sleep in in the mornings. But in the evenings she was a whirling dervish! Just when we wanted to sit and relax she turning into a snapping alligator who just wanted to play, play play!

She's 18 months now, and much better. But the evenings can still be the time you get a ball thrown at you asking to play. :rolleyes:

Agree up the food, and then try and look positively on the evenings. Do some training, play with your pup and enjoy.

It takes a lot of hard work to mould the puppy you've bought into the dog you want and it doesn't happen overnight. But be assured the behaviour you describe sounds normal to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice