UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assumed a vet would do a home visit for a dog at the end of their life. My sister's vet wouldn't and said they would need to bring him in, which considering he was a GR it wouldn't of been easy to carry him. I found a vet who would and he was fantastic. He even left them for a bit afterwards so that they could say goodbye properly. It was so much better for him to not to have to make that final journey and be cuddled until the end. I'm not happy that they wouldn't come out, so wonder if it is usual to refuse. I'm checking that my own vet will do it now as if not I'm registering with one that will.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I assumed a vet would do a home visit for a dog at the end of their life. My sister's vet wouldn't and said they would need to bring him in, which considering he was a GR it wouldn't of been easy to carry him. I found a vet who would and he was fantastic. He even left them for a bit afterwards so that they could say goodbye properly. It was so much better for him to not to have to make that final journey and be cuddled until the end. I'm not happy that they wouldn't come out, so wonder if it is usual to refuse. I'm checking that my own vet will do it now as if not I'm registering with one that will.
I think alot of vets do this. My Mum's vet came out to their home with all three dogs at the end, so they could be comfortable and not distressed at the vets. When the time comes, i'd hope for the same for my boy :(

·
Still missing my boys
42,317 Posts
I'm so pleased you found someone to do it. That's all you need isn't it, having to face all those people when you've just lost a friend :(

I've already checked with my vet. She said if she's there she will come out

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My vet doesn't do home visits anymore [he's past retirement age now] so when my last dog had to be pts I called out my '2nd' vet choice and they were brilliant..... they waited almost an hour before they did it to give my son time to get home from work :smile:

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'm going to ring her vets tomorrow and let them know that I found a vet that cared enough to come out. I don't want her to get any reminders for vet visits through the post either.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Mine always have or did the last time, although now you mention it they used to do their own out of hours 24/7 and recently changed to vets now for out of hours, so thats something Ill have to check.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I think it is awful that your sister's vet wouldn't do a home visit :( I am pleased you did find a caring vet to come out though. When in the heartbreaking situation of having to have a dog pts, the last thing you want to do is try to cajole your vet to come out.

My vets are brilliant and will always come out in that type of a situation.

Hugs to you and your sister.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
my last vets usually did home visits to pts but my last collie went downhill fast over the school holiday week when they were short staffed and couldn't spare a vet to come to the house. It actually worked for the best though as he didn't really get on with the vet who would have done the home visit and when we went into the vets it was the one who is collie mad and Paddy actually liked and relaxed round.

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
I have never even thought to ask a vet to come out. The 3 vets practices I have worked for in the past would not have been happy to do so. Dogs can get quite protective at home and owners are distraught and cannot hold them properly so it could be a recipe for disaster.
I did have one dog that was stressed by being at the vets so the vet got in the car in the car park and did it there.

I have a feeling my vets would do it if I insisted but it could end up being any vet in a large practice and they might not even be good with dogs and it might be hours before they could come out. Plus the charge would be a great deal.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Its a really horrible thought. I can remember having Misty PTS and the vet came out, this was the day after boxing day, she had gone done hill so fast I am pretty sure the trip would have been traumatic or even finished her off anyway, having it at home was so calm.
With Rory earlier this year he hadn't been registered with a vet for about 8 years so we didn't dare ask but it wouldn't occur to me that they wouldn't have done if we had been regulars, we took him into the surgery, it was traumatic for us but he was actually good as gold (bearing in mind we hadn't taken to vets for so long as he had a tendency to eat them) so think he knew the time had come, but I would have much preferred it to be at home, if only to have saved the poor people sitting in the waiting room as we carried him out bawling our eyes out.

I can't translate what a GR is (its friday brain is tired) but presume its a big breed and can see how difficult it is to take them in.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
When ever possible, my vets always come out to do the deed. Any time, any day. We have had dogs pts in the surgery and at home. They have never hurried us, in fact, it's always been in our time, and when we're ready. When our dogs were taken to the surgery there was no difference in the vet's attitude then or when he comes out to our home. We just lurves our vets. Rightly or wrongly, I never worry about the cost of this service, it's part of pet ownership taking care of them until the very end. IMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My vets will always come out. When I had my old GSD pts last year the vet came out and gave her a sedative, then sat and had a cup of tea while she dozed off and then gave her the final injection. He had treated her through many problems in her later life and he had a tear in his eye as she left us.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I know my vets will do a home visit if a dog gets really stressed (for an extra £90 of course) so assume they would come out, not something I have checked though.

Surely any decent vet worth half his salt would?

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He was a golden retriever. Even though he wasn't my dog taking him to the vets to be put down would have been more traumatic for him and the children. His original owner that he used to be a guide dog for was there to say bye as well. It only cost an extra £45.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.