Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

End of a Comedy era. RIP Ray Galton

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KittenKong, Oct 6, 2018.

1. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Sad to learn the death of Ray Galton at the age of 88. The other half of one of the best comedy partnerships ever. Alan Simpson passed away last year.

Well known as the writers for "Hancock's Half" hour with Tony Hancock they are, arguably, best remembered for "Steptoe and Son" which ran from 1962-1965 and 1969-1974.

In common with most BBCtv programmes many of the episodes were lost. By great good fortune the duo had copies made on an early home open reel videotape format. As a result the programme is now unique in BBC terms in existing in its entirety, even if most of the 1969-70 episodes made in colour now exist in black and white. They were presumed lost for good before their re-discovery.

To tell you the truth, I thought it was ok in the '70s, nothing special really.

It was when I saw the (then) last 1965 series did I really appreciate it. Excellent scripts, storylines, performances and comedy at its very best. It had clearly reached its peak at the time. The series ended on a high.

Then a gap of four years before the series was revamped.

Two great writers have passed on, but their work will live on forever.

Goodbye Ray, and belatedly Alan and thank you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45772088

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38906672

havoc likes this.
  2. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Me too but still appreciate the world is a better place for them having been in it :)

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

A sad loss

RIP Ray

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice