Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Empty bowls vs better food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cosmic706, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Cosmic706

Cosmic706 PetForums Junior

Quick question, would you guys rather see empty bowls and full tummies or better food quality?

I have one very fussy cat and my perpetual search for 'tasty' food tends to revolve around him. I've tried loads of different brands from zooplus, incl. Bozita, Smilla, Feringa, Cosmo, the list goes on... but I've struck gold on Sainsburys Complete Nutrition. Empty plate, every time. It's great from the perspective that he doesn't spend the rest of the day bugging me for different food, and I don't have any waste, but having looked into it, the quality isn't so great. He's a free range cat so comes in and out at will, so he isn't going to get seriously overweight as he has plenty of exercise (when he can be bothered), so is it too much of a drama?

I think I'd rather have an empty bowl and not worry too much about the content, makes it easier to regulate what he eats this way, but it would be interesting to hear your opinions!

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I tend to agree with you ! I have a very fussy boy and, like you, have tried so many different foods that I've lost count (most have ended up in the bin !). He will regularly eat Felix As Good As it Looks but even then prefers the 7+ senior varieties rather than the standard adult ones :rolleyes:

ebonycat, Cosmic706 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Yep. I'm in agreement, also being the owner of a spectacularly fussy boy. When we adopted him, aged 11 in 2018, I naively thought I could just convert him onto good food. Pah! How wrong I was. After he was diagnosed with some serious medical issues in Autumn 2019 I eventually came around to how I feel now.

Mind you, even now, he goes through fussy phases! Recently he's had a period of time (several weeks) where he would only eat the cheapest Felix (which is what he came to us on)...I just did it - even though I didn't want to. Having said that, he's recently surprised me by eating Sheba Perfect Portions pate, which I'm enjoying as I know it's better for him.

ebonycat and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

You can buy the best food in the world but if they won't eat it there's no point.
    I'm lucky in that mine do enjoy the better foods, sometimes I do have to encourage one of them although its a rare occurrence, but I wouldn't want feeding times to be a constant battle.
    For me it would be much more important to not be feeding dry. If that were the case I would be much more motivated to get them off it.

I do think you can overwhelm them with a conveyer belt of new foods. If I had a fussy eater I'd happily give them what they wanted in the main but every so often would maybe offer something new.

chillminx likes this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Another fan of good food is better for them but not if they wont eat it .
    I have spent time/effort and lots of money trying to find what I consider " good food" sadly Meeko doesn't agree and as he isn't food obsessed he wont eat something if he doesn't like it.
    Solution ......I give him what he likes / wants and is as close to the best on his "accepted list" .

chillminx, ebonycat and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Cosmic706

I loved all these answers, thank you so much. I'm all on your wavelength!

Buffie - I chuckled when you said Meeko isn't good obsessed so just won't eat it, mine is absolutely food obsessed, and STILL won't eat it lol he will just hound me and tell me repeatedly all day that he's unimpressed with the menu on offer. Luckily I have 3 other cats, 2 of which who will eat everything (quite literally) and another who will only eat dry, we've had to swap to Iams for her as I really can't get her onto wet.

Army - You are definitely right about overwhelming them with options, I think once you find something they will eat it's probably best to stick at it until they naturally decide they are ready to switch it up!

MrsFunkin - Oh I know exactly what you mean, I'm fully expecting this to be a phase and we will resume the normal fussy service soon!!

BertiesMum - They are funny, they like what they like!! We've gone through the Felix AGAIL phase, we then moved onto a strictly Felix Meaty Loaf phase, right in the middle of the first lockdown when I couldn't find it for love nor money lol. Funny you should say about the 7+, I bought it by accident once and they went nuts for It!

ebonycat and buffie like this.
  7. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

I buy smilla, carnie and bozita for my cats. My girl will quite often turn her nose up at it but she loves Morrison’s own brand usually I have to put a few dreamies or freeze dried treats on the “good” stuff to get her to eat it. She then will eat it all. I try and mix brands so I don’t feel too guilty either way!

I was wondering how you work out how good/bad a food is?

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

By reading the list of ingredients on the packet or on the website :)

Summercat, Bigsize9foot and Cosmic706 like this.
  9. Cosmic706

Yep. To be honest I've mainly taken advice from these this forum about what constitutes good and bad, and if in doubt I search for posts which mention whatever I'm looking at.

My partner asked me to explain the why I was concerned, and I said it was a bit like, do you feed your kids chicken nuggets and chips every day knowing they will yum it up and go to bed with full tummies or do you try and get them to eat meat and 3 veg knowing they will leave the table without finishing it and then ask for ice cream later lol. He saw my point then...

chillminx and Bigsize9foot like this.
  10. Bigsize9foot

Ha- well obviously- but I’m
    Not sure what I’m looking for or what amounts are good and bad etc.

11. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Sugar, vegetable protein as the main vs meat protein and high carb are some things to watch out for. I look for low ash content as well, best below 2 but preferably not above 2.5.
    If you feed a rotation, then a less good food is not so bad now and again but you run the risk of your cat wanting that food all the time. Just best not to buy the cheaper quality foods and then you won't have to worry about weaning them off of it.
    Don't add new foods one after another but space them out and give them time to get used to a new food by introducing over a period of time. I know food my guys walk away from they will often later eat, if given another day.
    (I don't know Morrison's own brand, so am not referring to that in any way, just a general idea of what to look for in food. )

12. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

@Bigsize9foot there is a sticky thread about good foods, it was very useful when I was trying to figure out what to get Oscar to eat.

Bigsize9foot and Cosmic706 like this.
  13. Bigsize9foot

Thanks- I’ve looked at this but couldn’t see how you worked out what was good for yourself. I’ll take another look x

14. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

What I found very useful was Lisa Pierson's site, cat info.org
    Lots of reading though but she explains what to look for, basics of understanding labels and how to work out DMA for food comparison. She provides a calculator you can download.

Bigsize9foot and Arny like this.
  15. Bigsize9foot

Thanks- I’ll check this out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice