Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Emotionally matured after first season

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Newton Bear, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Newton Bear

Newton Bear PetForums Junior

Hi,
    I originally posted this on the Dog Chat forum but someone recommended posting it on this forum page too.
    We have an 18 month old sprocker female who was quite late having her first season (at 15 months). As we don't plan to breed from her we have booked her in to be spayed in July and she will be 19 months old then. We have noticed that since having her first season she seems to have altered and matured emotionally. She is more responsive to commands and even easier to train. She has literally come on leaps and bounds since March. This is our first bitch and she is going to be my husband's gun dog. My question is should we go ahead and get her spayed next month or put it off and allow her to have one more season? We are not sure whether she will mature any more (mentally) or whether this is likely to be it. Would love to here from anyone who has had similar experiences or experience with bitches especially. Many thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice