Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

EMERGENCY: Sudden Pain and Slowness

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Madds, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:21 AM.

1. Madds

Madds PetForums Newbie

Hi there!

Really hoping someone can help or offer advice!
    I have a 10 year old toy X miniature poodle named Kai. Despite being a little older, he is an energetic and happy dog, with no prior health problems. Everyone is always surprised when they see him, saying he acts like a puppy.
    Last week, after a walk, he started coughing. We took him to the vet, who prescribed antibiotics, just in case of kennel cough. The coughing has since stopped, but yesterday, when my dad got up from the sofa, Kai jumped up, crying in panic, before yelping and trembling.
    Usually, he likes to give my dad a few soft barks, but this was different.
    I thought it might have been his paw, which can act up after walks from time to time, as he growled when I touched it.
    This morning, however, something is definitely wrong. Kai is walking slowly, tail down. He seems like he's in pain, occasionally gives a small shake, and is slow and deflated. His nose is dry and cold.
    As he is always so energetic, I'm in a panic. What could have caused such a sudden decline???

I am hoping to get to a vet later today, but I'm terrified. Anyone ever heard of this? Is this a sign of something malicious?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Ochre

Ochre PetForums Newbie

Sounds like Kai is in alot of pain. If it were me, I would be trying to get a vets appointment as soon as possible today.

3. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

It soes sound as though an emergency vet visit is needed. My first though is a spinal issue , so until you can see a vet minimise all movements. Carry him outside for toileting, crate him or pen him if you can and no jumping on and off furniture.

Animalfan, Lurcherlad and danielled like this.
  5. Madds

Madds PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone.

I am trying to book the earliest appointment possible. Been carrying him up and down the stairs all morning to restrict his movements. He's been laid on my chest for the past few hours until the postman knocked and he went running down the stairs to greet him. I charged after him, albiet a bit shocked considering he did not want to move earlier.
    Whimpered when he sat down again, so I offered a treat which he took, and then discovered the pain is in his neck after I touched it.
    Strangely seems a bit better now, but will still take him to be safe.
    Hopefully, he just sprained something in his neck when he jumped last night.

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sure if you tell the vet receptionist that you suspect a disc injury you will get seen today. Lay it on thick!

Burrowzig and tabelmabel like this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I agree it sounds likely the problem is in his neck/spine.

My Jack Russell had a very similar episode a few years ago. It happened twice, a week apart, and she was unable to move.

That was 4 years ago and it has never happened again.

The problem with her was her spine.

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes, as @SusieRainbow says, or just turn up in the waiting room with your dog and they will likely fit you in. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice