Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Emergency Services?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Merlin Birmingham, May 8, 2010.

1. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

Particularly the ambulance service!

Are they being drained by people who do not need them?

Is the drinking culture draining the resources to an extent that others are suffering!

Should injuries sustained through alcohol and drugs be given priority?

I would like to hear your thoughts!

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yes and personally I think they should be given treatment they can't choose like that. But they are definately being drained by the idiots who go out to deliberately get drunk and stagger around throwing up.

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

in a way yes, and i dont think they should be given priority.

What you've also got to consider, most of these people going out at the weekend and getting drunk pay their taxes so they are entitled to help when they need it self inflicted or not, or else they have to start turning down fat people etc
    Also, people really have to have a way to let off steam and need some little thing to look forward to during this time, its not easy

I have to say i had a massive panic attack last year where i couldnt breath, kept passing out and lost control of my arms and legs due to spasm and i was terrified, my OH phones an ambulance and i was taken in.
    It could be argued that i wasted the ambulances time as it "was only a panic attack" but what else do you do?

classixuk likes this.
  4. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

If an ambulance has been called on your behalf and you turn it away do they still charge you a fee?
    Some years ago I was involved in a motorcycle accident (not my fault) but oh my poor bike and the buckets of tears!
    In short, it soon became apparent, to me, that I didn't really need an ambulance and when it finally arrived I told them exactly that but asked if they took motorcycles :lol:
    A week later I received a bill for the non use of an emergency vehicle :(

Perhaps drunks should be charged a fee as their actions are either deliberate or self inflicted and the use of an emergency vehicle, whilst attending the circumstances of their pathetic and irresponsible behaviour, is quite unnecessary and is, therefore, depriving someone in more dire need.

5. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Excellent post. Food for thought. Worthy of rep.

So, should we make fat people wait for an ambulance? Good question. I'm looking forward to the answers.

6. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Good post.

Perhaps people who cross the road without using zebra crossings and are then knocked over should also be charged a fee or similarly punished?
    And fat people who obviously eat too much and then suffer a heart attack. Kids who are playing truant from school and end up trapped on the railway lines should also be considered. RSI or arthritis sufferers who use PetForums should also be a target for "self-inflicted harm". LOL

Sorry...I got carried away after being enlightened by Starlite's post.

Sorry to hear about you getting a bill though. I hope you didn't pay it!

7. willa

willa PetForums VIP

What makes me so angry is people drink way too much,collapse in a drunken mess & ana Ambulance gets called out to them :mad:

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

someone has had alot of drink. They head home and get attacked, should they not get an ambulance because they are drunk?

Also, i dont know if anyone's noticed but if your lying in a drunken heap its not normally you who calls the ambulance lol

9. thedeans

thedeans PetForums Senior

here in cheshire when you call an ambulance you get a fast response car - they then assess the situation and can request an ambulance if necessary- they carry emergency equipment if needed and can also take people to hospital - those who need to go to but not in dire need
    It frees up the ambulances for serious life and death situations

10. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

you have to ask where it will stop if you start saying some people deserve it more than others... there are smokers, fat people, drinkers, self harmers, old people... why should someone decide one person deserves it more than another?

Starlite likes this.
  11. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

The few times we've had to call an ambulance out a Paramedic has turned up 1st to asssess and administer immediate care.

It's a slippery slope if ambulances don't respond to certain situations - I had to call an ambulance when I saw a drunk young man fall and crack his head open, there was blood everywhere, should I of left him to bleed to death just because he was drunk?

12. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

What really annoys me are the idiots who ring up for fun just to get the ambulance/fire engine out for a thrill. :mad:

13. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I reckon people who go out to get drunk and cause problems like fighting and taking drugs and then get so bad they have to have treatment and ambulance..... They Should Be Charged for the service they had. I feel sorry for the genuin people who need an ambulance and have to wait stupid times for an ambulance to come to see them. I had to wait 2 hours for an ambulance and their reason for being late was drunk induced overdose and fighting.

14. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Totally agree all calls to 999 should be traced and if it's a hoax the bill payher should be fined- or those people who ring 999 because they've got a spider in the bath or a splinter :mad:

15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its not the same thing to say calling an ambulance for a drunk, unconcious person is the same as a fat person. You dont call an ambulance for severe fatness do you??:D
    Drink and obesity related problems like liver cirrhosis or diabetes should be treated, you shouldnt abuse the system if you delibratley drank too much (or ate too many cakes!) and cant walk home.:mad:
    2 examples.
    1. my friend (a nursing sister) was called by her neighbours to go round coz her son had ODed. Whilst my friend is panicking and the ambulance crew is milling about someone mentioned the police were on their way. The lad shot up and out the house like it was on fire!!:mad:
    2. Drunken unconcious teen(my brother) in public toilets wasting police time. He stayed semiconcious until the very nice policeman called my father who came down screamed at him at which point my bruv leapt up and out of the lav!!:D
    Both wasting emergency services time IMO..

16. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

As a memeber of the emergency services I can soundly say yes, a lot of our time is waisted. Mostly that of the police and ambulance..

most calls for paramedics where police attend (can't really comment on the other calls as we don't hear them!) involved people who continuously call 999 for no real reason. there is a woman who has a controlable condition, doesn't take her meds, calls an ambulance, they admit her to hospital, she discharges herslef, goes home and calls them again...

And the ambulance will not attend her address without police back up (she is not violent, just refuses to move)

Also, domestics with minor injuries. the amount of people that could easily get a taxi to A&E but chose not to is quite shocking. I would only call if it was a serious injury and the person is not movable via other methods or it was a child. This happens a lot, more so at the weekends and paramedics wont attend certain jobs without police so they have to wait around until they are free to assist.. I can understand why they don't to be quite frank, I have attended calls for ambulance, then you get there to assist and the 'injured' party kciks off for no real reason....

I could go on with exaples but I can't

17. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Are they being drained by people who do not need them? Yes! 1 of my clients last month called the ambulance out (pushed alarm button and refused to speak so 999 is automatically called) and when they got there she told them she had a sore mouth-turned out to be a mouth ulcer and paramedics were furious :mad: a week later same thing only this time she couldnt walk but I asked where her purse was and she jumped straight out of that chair and again furious ticking off from paramedics.

Is the drinking culture draining the resources to an extent that others are suffering! I would imagine so. I avoid A+E like the plague fri-sunday if I can as I know it will be over flowing with drunks who have been in fights etc. But I lay the blame with the cheap booze and our high street which is now just one long line of pubs and clubs :frown:

Should injuries sustained through alcohol and drugs be given priority? Tough one. If they have serious injuries then of course they need priority based on the injuries not how they came bout getting them. In the same sense should people who crash cars through stupidity/recklessness get bumped to the bottom of the queue?
    Thats a long slippery slope to go down....should overweight people be given ops on NHS, should alcoholics get livers etc etc.
    When people start saying who is worthy of life and treatment thats putting a price on life and I think thats a huge can o worms lol.

18. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I cannot tell you how many times I've spoken to an offender that becomes suddenly very drunk... until you caution them, they they, like a miricle, can answer back and plead innocence :rolleyes:

19. fluffosaur

fluffosaur PetForums Senior

You should read this blog by an Ambulance driver:
    Random Acts Of Reality :: Main Page

He hardly ever has to attend emergency calls and complains continuously about being called out to "waste of time" jobs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice