Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Emergency Help required.

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by George Duke-Cohan, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:01 PM.

1. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Hey guys, I have been rather inactive lately which I do apologise for. I have not stopped keeping fish or lost my motivation again I just have been busy.
    To the problem at hand! My fish have white spot! Now I am treating with the most powerful medication I have which is sterazin. Now I know the drill so here are my tank parameters.
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 40ppm
    Water changes every Friday or Saturday, using Seachem prime. Filtration is estimated at around 180 litres per hour I have two water pump driven filters and a sponge filter. All but the sponge filter are cleaned when doing water changes. Tank size is 60 litres.

2. George Duke-Cohan

Update: Those who know me from here will know who Stan is. He is my Elyria blue ram. After posting this I went to get a drink, I have come back to him upside down on the bottom. I am sad to say that he has passed away. :Arghh

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Sterazin wouldn't treat Whitespot. It treats Gill and body flukes, which you wouldn't be able to see with the naked eye. Protozin, by the same company, would be more likely to work, but you could also treat it by raising the temps and adding salt to the water.

Sorry to hear about Stan - sounds like his death was remarkably quick. :confused:

Has anything changed? Any new additions? Typically, white spot would flair up or come in with new fish or when the fish are under stress. o_O

magpie likes this.
  4. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Oh no, I'm sorry about Stan :(

5. lilac2020

lilac2020 PetForums Junior

I am so sorry you lost Stan.

6. George Duke-Cohan

Ok. Yeah it is my fault entirely for getting some neons but I did not quarantine them as I did not have a QT big enough for 5 neons, also the fact that I trust my LfS as I had no problems before. I will treat with Melafix and Primarix to see if that will work. I have methylene blue but I want to use that as a last resort. Thank you for your condolences

7. George Duke-Cohan

Thank you, it is so sad as he has been with me from the start.

8. George Duke-Cohan

Thank you.

lilac2020 likes this.
  9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Melafix and Methylene Blue are antibacterial. Pimafix is an antifungal. WS is parasite. If you're absolutely sure it's White spot, you need either salt and heat (heat speeds up the life cycle of the parasite, the salt kills the freeswimming spores), or Malachite Green.

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  10. George Duke-Cohan

I actually think I have some malachite green. What is the recommend dose of salt for a 60 litre tank?

11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Dosage is 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons. Dissolve it in tank water first.

12. George Duke-Cohan

I have attached images of what I am using. It seems to have a lot of stuff that should help. Can you confirm that this will work?

Attached Files:

13. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Huh. Yeah, it should work. Wonder why they don't advertise it, though. :confused:

14. George Duke-Cohan

No idea. I have been using it and following the dosage recommendations I have not had any more deaths since and while I can still see some WS it is not nearly as bad as it was when it first broke out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice