Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Emergency box for dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by zozzen, Jul 5, 2009.

1. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

I've heard a story of how a dog, mistakenly consumed a whole pack of chocolate, was saved by his well-prepared owner who always put a pet emergency box at home. The owner immediately gave the dog a medicine for vomiting and took him to a hospital.

I want to set up an emergency box for a dog too. What should be included? Are there any basic medicine? (heard that some medicines work for humans and dogs) Any advice is appreciated!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

A 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide will induce vomiting. Not the hair dye stuff though.

I tend to only keep supplies incase of injury. Like bandages, sterile saline, etc.

#2 Nonnie, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have a box for the pets, it has bandages (sticky and stretchy), scissors, flea drops, worming tablets, tea tree cream, thermomiter, tweezers, spare lead that can me used as a muzzle, gloves, emergency phone numbers, and some cream (can't remember what its called) we had left from when Dixie grazed her ankle. Oh and nail clippers and some of those cotton bud thingys with stuff to stop bleeding in them. Never used them tho.

x

4. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Apart from all the basic things like bandages,saline ect I also make sure I have some Arnica 30c for any sprains, strains ect.

5. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

My box has evolved into a full drawer and a shelf in cupboard for solutions and shampoo's.
    I have a pocket thermometer (temp dog 101.5 and cat 102);
    pair of curved dressing scissors brill for trimming fur around small cuts, abraisions and irritations.
    the usual bandage supply aswell as some sterile melonin dressings for any wounds.
    ear cleanser and cotton wool;
    old eye ointments...I know they say tgrow away after so long but its better than nothing if its a bank hol or sun morning!
    Kaolin although I dont really advocate the use of this unless its an absorption prob as diarrhoea is the bodies natural way to illiminate toxins quickley.
    Nux vom 30c incase of vomiting ( much more serious than diarroea).
    PS Nonnie although induced vomiting can be a good idea (I use a few washing soda crystals) dont forget that in some cases it is contra indicated as some toxins are corrosive and cause more damage to the oesophagus on the way back up;) In these instances charcoal granules would be used as an absorbent as well as trip to vets.
    Hibiscrub (1 in 10 solution brill for a good ear wash) essential for washing wounds(animal n human).
    Aloe gel...lovely soothing gel great for all kinds. Or use the plant if u have one!
    Sedatives for fireworks (NOT ACP:mad:) and thunderstorms if u have a scardy dog!
    Flea stuff for home and pet.
    tooth paste tooth brush
    and lots of other stuff I probs shouldnt have:eek:

Nonnie likes this.
  6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Personally Gesic, id never induce vomiting myself, not without consulting a veterinary surgeon first. Unless someone is 100% sure what their dog had eaten i think its far too dangerous.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice