Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Emailing a Swedish breeder?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicky10, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

There's a breed that sounds like almost exactly what I want but it's quite rare and there is this amazing looking kennel in Sweden I want to email to get information on the breed, you can't always trust websites, and ask about future plans that sort of thing. The website is obviously in Swedish but there is a page to help English speakers understand it. Do you think it would be ok to email in English, given how google translate mangles even the simplest of translations?

There are no UK kennels

2. Snowdog

Snowdog PetForums Member

in sweden and denmark practically everyone speaks and understands english

Nicky10 likes this.
  3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I did think that just wasn't sure if I was right

4. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Unless they're very old and rural they most likely have better English than a lot of natives. I'd just use English rather than try and translate it.

What's the breed? :D

Nicky10 likes this.
  5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Kromfohrlander, no I don't know how to pronounce it either. Their dogs are all wire coats

They either look like this
    [​IMG]

Or my preferred coat
    [​IMG]

If nothing else their English will likely be better than my non-existent Swedish

Moobli and Misi like this.
  6. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I think you'd be quite surprised by the number of Scandi folks who speak very good English and even those who don't speak fluently still possess a good level and understanding of the language and can still hold their own in a conversation.:)

Not like us Brits. We're fairly ignorant by comparison.:(

Kromfohrlander. You pronounce the Krom as if you were hawking snot up from the back of your throat;)

Firedog and Nicky10 like this.
  7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

My German, they're a German breed originally, is as bad as my Swedish. I've yet to find a pronunciation guide although some websites helpfully suggested calling them German terriers. I'm always amazed at how many people speak such good English all around the world compared the rates of second language speakers among native English speakers

8. sueh83

sueh83 PetForums Member

There are a few Kromfrohlander in the UK and there have been a couple of litters bred down in the south/south west of England. There are a couple of dogs who regularly attend the UKA Agility shows held near Gloucester.

Nicky10 likes this.
  9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Oh are there? That would be much easier than trying to assess a kennel abroad. Do you have any contact details?

10. sueh83

sueh83 PetForums Member

sent you a PM Nicky

Firedog and Nicky10 like this.
  11. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

You're a Brit? I didn't know that. What on you doing in the snowy lands? How do I leave this island? :p

Oh a breed I haven't heard of Nicky! It looks a bit like a Kooikerhondje and the scruffy one looks like a giant version of Lauren's Skip. :D

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They're only 15-18 inches I'm not sure how big Skip is. But they have the terrier looks without the bad prey drive jacks/parsons often have which was something I wanted. They're out of terrier types obviously crossed with other breeds.

I hadn't heard of them until a few days ago either when someone mentioned them on a fb group.

13. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

Skip's 15" at the shoulder :)

Very nice looking dog...

There are different lines within Parsons that focus on differing levels of prey drive

Skip just happens to take his drive from Pacolito lines, which means it's eh, very much there :p

Lexiedhb likes this.
  14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I purposefully looked for websites which had the option to view their website in English which indicate to me they spoke the language. Cash's Swedish breeders spoke very good English actually and we even chatted on the phone.

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It's not in English but there's a page explaining the Swedish for English speakers so I assume they speak at least some.

16. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Have you looked at the Porteguese Podenco? They have a small hound that looks like a terrier, although of course you might well have prey drive there.

Not all terriers have 'bad' prey drive, and you can control it, especially if you're getting a puppy. You just need a good terrier trainer. ;)

17. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Second photo looks like a giant Skip :p

Lauren5159 likes this.
  18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I am aware not all terriers are insanely high prey drive but there is such a thing as stacking the deck in your favour :). Podengos are cute but if I was going that route I'd want an Ibizan hound

Not giant apparently they're Skip sized. But yes that's what drew my attention in the first place.

19. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Indeed I am a Brit and in answer to both your questions

A - Hiding.
    B - Airplane. Train. Boat/Ferry. But if authorities have made these avenues unavailable to you then might I suggest the back/underside of a heavy goods vehicle.

Failing that a homemade raft.:)

sharloid and Firedog like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice