Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Elliot's ears

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, May 6, 2017.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Just an update. Elliot's ears weren't getting any better so the vet decided to put him under to clean them out properly. He got a 2cm wad of goo out of the bad one! We are now doing ear drops, an ab and pred.

I'm in the process of changing his diet to the Acana 70:30 fish food as its low in carbs and a novel protein. I also have a wet fish food as he won't eat plain dry, but the ingredients don't have percentages and it has some potato/vegetables so I'm not sure about it from the yeast point of view. He's also getting ACV.

I really, really hope this works!

new westie owner likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

A good call to put him under then! Sounds yuk and must have been very uncomfortable.

Hope that, the meds and new food gets him clear of this problem for good :)

Maybe tell him to keep his had above water when he's wallowing in the quagmires that he loves so! ;)

Team_Trouble likes this.
  3. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Here you go xx
    Ear problems. Right it's a long hard slog but this is the way Tim Couzens, holistic vet taught me how to get rid of it. Pseudomonas bacteria hate an acidic environment and you have to create that within the ear. Malacetic Aural is very acidic, it smells like peach vinegar, some people like the smell some hate it, I quite like it. You have to be dedicated and give it 6 weeks of daily cleaning and you will be high fiving with your vet. Right every morning you put the Malecetic Aural in the ear, give it a good squirt and massage so it goes right in. Then just wipe away the excess with a cotton ball. Leave all day until it dries out and then you use the Thornit powder. You just put a little bit into the palm of your hand and put a pinch just at the top of the ear canal. Another way to do it is get a small make up brush, dip into the powder and brush around the top of the ear canal. The Malecetic Aural cleans and destroys the bacteria and the Thornit powder opens the ear canal and absorbs the gunk with the pseudomonas in it, so you have to repeat this until it's all gone. If you feel after a month it's looking really good, just do every other day but you must do for 6 weeks. Then once a week for a while. Tim Couzens makes his own Thornit called Biozeer that he will post if you can't get it, but there's plenty of places on line you can buy it from. Good luck and it's possible to sort. And as I said before keep her off the veg as well, and lots of big meaty play bones will help x

Don't use any other products in the ears whilst you are using the Malecetic aural x I got this from a westie advice group when Bobbys ears were bad worked a treat :) I sometimes just cleaned with apple cider vinegar the Thornit powder worked great on him I still use it every other month to keep it under control :)

4. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

I got this cleaning method from a westie advice group worked a treat for Bobby posted below if any use :)

5. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Poor Elliot! That must have been so uncomfortable, I bet he’s feeling better already. I hope he’s not too wriggly a patient for the ear drops :)

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The ACV is raw organic, with the mother? That's very important. My girl with the chronic ear infections had her check up yesterday her ears still are doing well. A little wax, but vet didn't think I even needed to give her a flush at home. She had a deep clean under anesthesia two years ago, with antibiotics and flushing afterwards.. Within weeks they were starting again, until I started the ACV. It's such a relief. Hope it works as well for Elliot. xx

Have you ever thought about raw feeding?

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Oh bless him, hope his OK now and that the meds work and he doesn't any more treatment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice