Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Electric fences

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by denflo, Jun 6, 2017.

1. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Does anyone know if cats are ok with electric fences? My garden backs onto fields and I need to put an electric fence up around the top part to stop Mr Fox visiting. I've bought everything, but now I'm going into a state of panic and daren't set it up, just in case Flo gets hurt! I've read various reports on Google about how cats are not stupid enough to touch them and how some cats have been hurt by them. Anyone know?

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

She'll get hurt just the once, it's how they work.

3. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

It's ok (ish) if it's just a quick shock for her, but I don't want it to be anything more serious, that's the concern!

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Dr Pepper is right.

I guess how much she gets hurt depends on the strength of the current.

kimthecat likes this.
  5. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

We have an electric fence around our hen house - I bought specifically to protect hens and did make sure pets would not be harmed.

I do try to switch it off if the cats are in the garden BUT Huck has been caught out. He ran like mad back to the house growling and it took a few hours before he calmed down. He will not go anywhere near the hen house now and gives the hens a death stare as if it's their fault.

Our fence has sadly killed a frog.

But our cat sitter's tiny Chihuahua also got shocked by accident and thankfully was ok. I was very worried about her though as the shock is nasty.

I would worry if there was any chance of a heart issue.

lymorelynn and chillminx like this.
  6. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

It's only going to be plugged into a little 12v car battery, so nothing extreme. I'll just have to be brave and let her learn, I feel like a very mean, cruel Mummy at the moment :( !!

7. Rudydog

Rudydog PetForums Member

We have an electric fence to protect our hens from mr fox we also get loads of visiting cats in the garden (including our own) and none of them appear to be phased or put off by the electric fence... some cats even make into the enclosure which has baffled me on a few occasion... yet they seem completely unphased (certainly not hurt).... luckily the hens are as hard as nails so can see the cats away!! keeps them safe from the fox though.... Before we put the fence up we lost a few sadly so I am happy

denflo likes this.
  8. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

The vet has never mentioned anything of any heart issues and there is nothing to suggest she has, so, I've no reason to think otherwise. Perhaps, I'll just try to remember to switch it off when she's out and I'm at home - good idea HB.

9. Rudydog

Rudydog PetForums Member

I'll also add that our hens can usually be seen with their heads right through the electric netting to peck at the grass on the other side (although they also get regular free ranging time). I think their feathers must insulate them to some extent but I think this is a sign that the shock cannot be very strong.... ours is specific hen electric netting so maybe that's why?

10. huckybuck

I'm sure she will be ok - and like Huck if she does get caught out she won't be in a hurry to go near it again.

Our gardener has a little puppy - french bull dog and he ran round the back of ours while it was on and got stuck - he yelped until it was switched off (gardener had forgotten) He had been shocked a number of times but again thankfully was ok. He won't go near it now!!!

ETA I haven't touched it yet but the electricians setting it up kept getting shocked and so have our gardeners. They did say it's quite a big one.

11. huckybuck

I think there is a difference. I have a wire system top and bottom of the fence.

12. Rudydog

Rudydog PetForums Member

Yes I think you are right. Can't remember the voltage through ours but with ours the entire net is electric. It always surprises me that cats and hens don't seem to bother yet it's been very effective at keeping the fox away... touch wood! I do always turn it off when I let the dog out in that part of the garden however.

13. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone, I do feel a bit better about it now, I'll put it up when it stops raining! It is a specific one for hens, the netting type like you mention Rudydog. Hopefully Flo will learn quickly and not too painfully that it's best to stay away from it!

huckybuck likes this.
  14. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

You'll get zapped by it more times than your pets!! It's amazing how you can forget it's on, especially if not on all the time.

We use electric fencing for resting portions of the field. From recent experience my tip of the day is - when your moving the energiser with one hand, and the earthing rod in the other, really make sure you've switched it off first. We use a hotline energiser, turns out it's a remarkably tough and sturdy unit.

#14 Dr Pepper, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    denflo likes this.
  15. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

I do remember when I used to have a horse, there was an electric fence running around the field and over the water trough (water/electric, what could possibly go wrong?!), I also recall cleaning the water trough out and touching the fence at the same time ... now, that HURT!!! Hopefully Flo will be ok with it and remember it's there even when I don't!

16. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I had electric fencing for my horse for many years at the same time as a semi feral cat who lived in the barn. In the eight and a half years I had the cat I never, ever saw her touch the fencing when it was on. I suspect that she was able to hear the fencing " tick" with the pulse of the ( 12v ) energiser.

Calvine likes this.
  17. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

One of our horses "tests" the fence by putting his whiskers close to it. I'd imagine other animals can do the same. But surely they'd have to get zapped that first time to know what it meant?

Calvine and Forester like this.
  18. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

My mare used to put her head under the bottom strand so that she could eat beyond the fence line, but she only did it facing in the direction where her mane would insulate her from the fence!

I imagine that a cat's fur would provide a degree of insulation so they wouldn't feel the full force of the fence .

Calvine likes this.
  19. huckybuck

Hmmm Huck might disagree lol! He shot up the garden, hid under the patio table and shook with eyes like saucers!

Calvine and Dr Pepper like this.
  20. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Yes, we always have a six inch to foot of grass the other side of the fence that's been nibbled. I sure hair doesn't conduct the electric very well as you apparently need higher powered fenced for sheep. I'm sat in the field at the moment, few more glasses of wine and I might just test out the theory on myself.......

Calvine and denflo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice