Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Electric Fence

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by suewhite, May 4, 2010.

1. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I"ve just took the dogs for there walk we go across farm fields which has footpaths with styles as Ben was ahead and going through the first style he let out a scream and jumped up in the air when I got there the farmer has put electric fence across the style blocking the access poor Ben got a shock when he touched the fence there arent any sheep or cattle in the field can he block off a right of way anyone know:eek:

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

This may sound like a joke, but it's not. Be very careful your dogs dont pee on an electric fence!

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Its lethal stuff, I live on a farm and when my terrier first touched electric fencing she certainly never touched it again!! It's almost invisible to the dog as it's so low down!! Don't know why he has put it there though with no cattle or sheep? Maybe he was moving livestock and use it as a barrier? Should of put one of those yellow electric fence signs on it though, I know with horses I had to put yellow electric signs up every 100 yards if its reachable to the public!! Poor ben...hope he is ok from it xxxxxxx

4. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

My dogs have been stung a couple of times by it, and myself for that matter! I HATE the stuff. The farmers around here seem to leave it on even if there are no cattle around. :eek6:

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Some farmers have all their fencing running off the same mains so it has to be on as there might be livestock in the other fields where he has fencing. But it catches you out when you least expect it I know for sure!! The previous farm I worked at I had to move the fencing and the farmer said he had turned it off, well I took the metal fencing stake out and went to move the wire and got the shock of a lifetime I got chucked back onto the floor as I was holding the metal stake!! Swear he did that on purpose, farmers will always be farmers.... including my OH!! xx

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im pretty sure it is illegal to block a right of way.:mad:And with electric fencing? thats just wicked!!

7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I know if you NEED to block a right of way (for moving livestock etc) you either need a sign of warning to state live fencing or someone standing there to warn the people whilst the livestock is moving....very cruel to just leave it there without warning...what about horses aswell?? Going for a nice ride then get zapped by the fence....not very nice at all

8. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Mine was when i worked at a stables. I was so shocked...literally. The pain in my arm seemed to stay for days. Men hey, they are all the same. I'm now terrified off them though. Evil things. lol

9. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Must give quite a strong shock Bens fur stood on end :eek:

10. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Sophie got a shock on her nose, and her nose went green :eek: Its torture to watch though isn't it. They don't understand what it was from...well sophie didn't anyway.

11. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Yes it is and if electric fencing is used where the public has access there has to be warning signs at a maximum of every 90meters

12. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

No Ben turned round and had a go at me I think he thought I"d done it:)

13. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Oh bless him. It does bloody hurt though. Poor thing.

14. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

No he cant block it - ring the council and complain. We have a public footpath through our gate, down the yard and over the style in the field. By law we HAVE to display a notice saying that there is an electric fence and there has to be a plastic shock-proof handle on the electric fence like a gateway for them to open and close. He is breaking the law by stopping a access route and not displaying a sign also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice