Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Elderly rat introductions

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Rebecca Hadley, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Rebecca Hadley

Rebecca Hadley PetForums Newbie

I am new to this forum and I hope you can help me, I had three rescue female rats all about 2.5 years. I had one pts about a week ago because of brain and lung tumours, and I have just found the second one this morning passed away, she was showing signs of brain tumour but I think she died of a broken heart. It was so quick :(

So the problem is I am left with one rat, who is about 2.5 years, still very active and not showing signs of brain tumour, I am open to getting her a cage mate, but she was always a bit of a bully to the other two, stealing their food and pushing them about in the bed, when the other two were older they would avoid her sometimes. Originally the rescue I got them from there was a group of 5 and they split them because she would bully the other pair a bit.

So is this the rare moment I have a lone rat, or should I try an introduction, and if so what age and sex rescue rat/s should i look for?

I really appreciate your help!
    Becky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice