Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Elderly Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by SallyUK, Mar 1, 2017.

1. SallyUK

SallyUK PetForums Senior

Hi All

How are you all? This time I'm posting in relation to Kai, our older Norwegian Forest cat. He's now 11 years old and has been a great cat. Well, he still is, very affectionate, very vocal and loving, really loves his cuddles.

For a while now though, he's started pacing up and down in the evening and occasionally meowing his head off. He's constantly getting under our feet and nearly causing us to trip and fall. He never did this before.

He just won't settle down like he used to do. He still comes up for a cuddle, but not for as long as before. He jumps down again after a few moments and starts pacing all over again.

Has anyone else had their cat do this behaviour?

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sounds to me like it is time for a health check at the vets,if he hasn't had an MOT done recently .

chillminx likes this.
  3. Greydrift

Greydrift PetForums Member

Vet check :). What you are describing could have a physical cause e.g. hyperthyroid or something else...

4. velvetpaw

velvetpaw PetForums Member

I agree a vet check may be in order. His restless behaviour could be caused by an illness and a blood and urine test may help sort this out.

5. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

My male NFC started with hyperthyroid about that age - it could be the very start of it which is the best time to catch it before it starts to impact on other organs - but a vet visit and bloods will tell you.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

These are symptoms of hyperthyroid disease, among other things. Please take your senior (I wouldn't call 11 elderly) cat to the vet for a full blood work up, urinalysis and check up.

chillminx likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with the others, a recent change in behaviour of this kind needs investigating by the vet. He is not "elderly" at 11 yrs old, but by the age of 12 I'd probably regard him as entering his senior years. ("Elderly" to me is a cat aged 16 or more).

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice