Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

elderly cat recovery from a stroke

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 18, 2020.

1. p@tches

[email protected] PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm a very long time cat owner, but this is a first for me:
    My 17 year old "little old lady" had a little stroke, or seizure yesterday. We didn't witness it, so we don't know 100%, but we got her into the vet early today and they diagnosed her with hyperthyroid, so we have mediation for that and said that the stroke was probably secondary to the thyroid, so we'll just watch it for now.

So here's my question and the vet wasn't 100% clear - she has one eye that won't blink. Her 3rd "inner" eye lid is working, and she's producing tears, but the vet suggested just getting something OTC to keep the eye from drying out. And, not sure if she'll ever regain function there.

So, does anyone have suggestions on what you've all used and had success with? He even said we could probably get away with just swabbing it gently with petroleum jelly if we wanted. But I'm just curious if any of you have had similar issues and have had good success with another product.

And other than some tiredness she seems ok today. I THINK she can see out of the eye, she's walking pretty well, which wasn't the case yesterday, drinking and eating, and especially running for treats. Just the eye. Thank goodness.

Thank you in advance.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

3. p@tches

[email protected] PetForums Newbie

thanks for your reply. We have something similar. Talked to the vet today as well, and they also suggested something more gel like too.

But otherwise, she's doing really well today. Still can't blink that eye, but this morning she seems so much more like herself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice