UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Elderly Beagle - struggling to walk

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Beverley McIntyre 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 12 year old beagle who’s ability to walk long distance has drastically reduced over the last few months due to arthritis and hip dysplasia. My heart is breaking and I’m trying to do the best by him.
He gets restless at home but can’t walk far. I struggle to carry him if we get caught too far away from the car and have been considering a doggy pushchair. In the olden days I wouldn’t have ever contemplated using one, but now I would do anything to make him happy again.
What are people’s suggestions/thoughts not just on the pushchair but also on tried and tested treatments for arthritis and hip dysplasia? We are using Metacam and pardale (Vet prescribed) and yumove (dog sitter suggested). So far the best results have come from the yumove! Go figure.

#2 ·
As dogs age, they do lose the ability to enjoy the long walks they used to and, of course, your dog has additional problems to contend with.

It sounds as though the medication you have is good for him. I had excellent results too with Yumove for our old Staffy girl.

I believe Green Lipped Mussel supplement can be very useful for arthritis too.

I would simply take your boy shorter walks and let him set the pace. I think a doggy pushchair is a good idea, then, if he does begin to struggle on a walk, he can still enjoy the outdoors and all the sights without having to exert himself.

Reactions: Lurcherlad
#3 ·
Another recommendation for a pushchair. We had one for our elderly Dusty, and he loved it. He would ask to get out and have a little walk, then ask to get back in, have a rest, have another little toddle. The only snag we found was that an energetic friend discovered that Dusty really, really liked to be pushed along at high speed, leaning forward eagerly - and it's hard work running with a pushchair...

#5 ·
Maybe go back to your vet to discuss pain management. My older GSD has various conditions (arthritis, spondylosis, HD & prolapsed discs …. sound s awful but she's still doing well!) & we have regular reviews of her meds with my vet s at times it might be better to add another to help or increase a dosage.

Also hydro/physiotherapy can make a massive difference to managing arthritis, depending on your insurance policy (f you have one) this might be something you could claim for. My dog has also started laser therapy which has been a massive help for her & I know other people swear by acupuncture.

Have a look at the Canine Arthritis Management website as they have lots of great info regarding how to manage this condition better; medications available, therapies, changes you can make around you home to help your dog, etc https://caninearthritis.co.uk/

You can also have a look at maybe doing activities that aren't as physically challenging …. nosework activities, or some trick training for instance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.