Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Elder Rabbit Care/Cleaning

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BigRoundBunnyButt, Nov 15, 2019.

1. BigRoundBunnyButt

BigRoundBunnyButt PetForums Newbie

So, we have a bun that's turning 9 next year. We think she's a Havana, Polish, or a Mix, but she was misgendered and mislabeled when I was given her so we don't know the exact breed nor her neutering status (she has never sprayed or showed signs of an unspayed rabbit though). She's a great and chill rabbit and has been very independent her whole life. And by independent, we mean lazy. She is probably one of the laziest rabbits to ever grace this Earth. She lives in a walk-in closet turned habitat, so she has plenty of space and we let her roam the room almost every day, but she prefers to lay down or sleep most of the time. She had GI-stasis about 2 years ago, but it was treated quickly. She also had diarrhea if stressed (from traveling). Other than that, she's literally "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed"

I've had this rabbit for 8 years now, so I have always adjusted her food intake to her activity level. I give all the timothy hay she desires and we give her a small(!!) scoop of pellets and then some veggies and herbs if we have any in the fridge she can have.

Now that that's she's getting older, she's starting to have issues cleaning herself. It's come to the point where every other day, we find massive lumps of poop build-up, dried and stuck in her....well...everywhere. In her fur, in her genitals, tail.....everywhere. We started to wipe down her butt every day with some baby wipes, but it's a very minimal success. We sometimes can half-dislodge the mass and she will leave it on the floor for us when she's ready. We aren't seeing any infections but doesn't stop me from freaking out.

And on the subject of that, she started to smear her poop on the tile somehow?? And then lays in her filth. I've caught her laying in her "smears" three times this week. We are starting to think she enjoys her stinks.

We want to love and cuddle our bun, but the dingleberry/poop-smear situation is getting out of hand. I know water is a big no-no for rabbits, so how do you guys recommend cleaning her for her health and our sanity.

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Has she had a vet check to make sure there's not an infection causing this? They can also check her for mobility issues that could mean she's struggling. My old girl didn't have these kind of problems until she was 12-13 years old. She had arthritis in her hind end. Pain medication can help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice