Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Egg Bound

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Kiro, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Kiro

Kiro PetForums Newbie

I'm a first-time snake owner and my female corn snake laid eggs a couple of days ago. since then she's been really out of it, eyes are clouded over, she doesn't move around too much except to go drink. I'm kinda worried she might be egg bound, I've heard a lot about it but I still can't tell if she is or not. If she is do I need to take her to the vet or is it something I can deal with myself? And If she's not what should I do for her to help her get back to her old self?
    20180607_165513.jpg 20180607_165508.jpg 20180607_165500.jpg

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

If you hold her and feel along her belly, the last 1/3 of her body - if you feel lumps then she is likely egg bound, you'll likely see the swelling still around the last 1/3 of her body too and it would mean a trip to an experienced reptile vet, you'd be best to phone in advance to see if they have experience dealing with egg bound snakes.

If she feels 'hollow' she hasn't retained any eggs but you'll need to feed her - producing eggs is very demanding of the female. She'll likely improve after some food.

Teddy-dog likes this.
  3. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Is she swollen near her tail? If she’s laid a couple then you should be able to see or feel the rest of the eggs ready to come out. Sometimes you can massage them out but after two days I’m not so sure. Normally they before very restless trying to lay when eggbound and then become lethargic. Did you notice any restless and straining or nesting after she laid the first two?

Clouded eyes, drinking and inactivity can/ are all signs of a snake being in shed.

4. Kiro

Kiro PetForums Newbie

She's been quite inactive for the past little while mostly hiding away. I just checked and as far as I can tell there aren't any obvious lumps near her tail or anything like that. Should I be giving her smaller meals more often to help her recover? And for future reference what are some signs that she's going to be laying eggs so I can provide a better nesting area for her next year?

5. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

For my females - I feed regular sized meals, more frequently if they'll take it.

She'll shed, typically laying anywhere from 7-14+ days afterwards. The last 1/3 of her body will appear swollen and she'll likely stop eating. If you place a suitable laying box in there - she'll likely spend time sitting in there and 24-48 hours before laying they become extremely active and restless before settling in the lay box if it's suitable.

Best not to disturb them until they leave the lay box on their own.

Teddy-dog and Kiro like this.
  6. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

As already suggested by other parties if she was egg bound you would notice a swelling in the lower portion of her body, but eyes clouding over and lethargy are signs or shed. Make sure you keep her water bowl topped up and appropriate heat for the hot side.

May I just make a suggestion for changing the substrate, that looks like wood shavings which really isn’t good for reptiles. I would just go for aspen . It will be easier to pick clean and change when you do a complete change out

Madalina Moisa likes this.
  7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Oh yes, I've just noticed the substrate too.. What are you using OP?

I use lignocel, similar to aspen but it's smaller pieces and is really fluffy and soft. The snakes love it and it holds tunnels quite well.

Madalina Moisa and dingal2000 like this.
  8. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I'm a bioactive substrate, planted enclosures person - au naturel, big benefits for the reptiles and looks beautiful.

dingal2000 likes this.
  9. Kiro

Kiro PetForums Newbie

I'm currently using aspen shavings. I've tried using some other brand that's supposed to be made for snakes but it was extremely dusty and I was worried about them breathing it in. What are some of the cheaper options for bedding as I can't really afford all that much?

10. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

It depends on which reptiles you have, my young 5 month old ball python is still in a Rub while he is growing fast. So he is on paper towel. My 12 month old is also in a rub while she’s recovering from mistreatment from her previous owner, my two year old ball python is on orchid bark which is great for holding humidity and is great texture for shedding. My 3 kingsnakes and 3 hognose are on aspen

11. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

what ever that is in the pictures you posted is certainly not aspen

Attached Files:

12. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

Aspen is far far finer . That looks like just normal wood shavings in them pictures

Attached Files:

13. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I have thayers kings, mexican pines, diamond pythons, eastern indigos, western, eastern, southern, mexican and tri-coloured hognoses and a few more.

Bioactive doesn't mean high humidity - I just like to recreate the wild habitats, looks good, is cheap, provides invaluable enrichment and large enclosures provides ample space for them to stretch out and move around.

14. Kiro

Kiro PetForums Newbie

She's a five-year-old corn snake, and I double checked its aspen wood shavings which I imagine is much different than aspen.

15. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

I’m all for creating a natural environment and I know it doesn’t mean high humidity, I have thought about using succulents for my arid tarantula species. And with my 3 western hognose , they are getting upgrade soon to exo-terra glass enclosures. My 3 ball pythons I just see once in a while because they are hidden away doing ball python things. And my kingsnakes just look at the hognoses and think mmmmm lunch lol

16. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

Get the shredded type if you can, big shavings can cause impaction which can be fatal if it goes unrecognised

17. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Substrate wise you won't find much cheaper than topsoil and sand, get it from B&Q or wickes etc..

Mix it yourself - when you poke a hole in it, it should hold a burrow nicely. Might be best to allow it to dry out a bit - depending if it's damp and how good your ventilation is in the enclosure.
    Then spot clean as normal, really simple. Corn will love burrowing in it. Change the substrate completely when you think it needs doing.

I won't go into bioactive because it's a little in depth and can become expensive if it's your first.

18. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

I would say you can use coco fibre but it tends to be a little dusty: you can get pre-mixed dust free coco fibre but it’s expensive I believe, depend on how much OP wants to spend on their animal .

19. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I like cheap :Hilarious topsoil isn't dusty like coco fibre - once coco fibre dries out, it's difficult to wet again, water tends to pool rather than soak in.

20. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

Can I just ask the OP are you shoebox feeding or feeding in its enclosure ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice