Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Effectively Housebreaking your puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by shelleyabba, Apr 27, 2011.

1. shelleyabba

shelleyabba PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I thought I would share my story with you all as it may well help another dog lover along the way.

We have two Cocker Spaniels, Jimi and Eddie. Jimi was very quick to pick up house training but on the other hand Eddie was not!

Eddie came to us at six months old from my sister who was struggling with him and two very young children. He had a few behavioural issues, one of them being that he was not at all house trained. We weren't too concerned about this as he was only six months old at this stage but a whole year on he was still peeing and defecating on our kitchen floor every single morning, even though I get up for work between 5 and 6am. He was fine when we were around and would stand at the back dor asking to go out but during the night he just didn't seem able to hold it (he also suffered from separation anxiety which I believe had a lot to do with this problem).

I was at my wits end, I couldn't bare the smell of bleach anymore!!

I had always been very much against crate training as I thought it was cruel but I read lots about it and decided to give it a go, although still slightly reluctantly.

I have to say, it saved my sanity and my kitchen floor! We made the crate his little safe haven and gave him toys and lots of praise and he absolutely loves it. He even goes in there and relaxes with the door open during the day.

We wrote this squidoo lense with lots of helpful tips for effectively housebreaking your puppy. I hope you find it interesting and useful.

Shelley.x

2. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Absolutely right. Many people, when advised to try crate training, are adverse to using it because they see it as solitary confinement. However, for a dog, it's a great thing to have a place where they can go and chill out when they don't want attention. It's also, as you have pointed out, a great training tool and way of maintaining or preventing problem behaviours, as long as it's not used as a form of punishment!

3. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

We crate trained the litter as a few of the pups were going 2 show homes, I also follow Dr Ian Dunbar's methods on house training using a crate etc and it works very well, nice safe place for them 2 b with their toys and treats, most of the pup owners r finding it easy as we started the basics, I have a few crates dotted around the house 4 Ziva and she luvs them :)

4. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

We managed to crate train our new little Yorkie by sheer accident and I will be the first to admit I didn't understand what I was doing I did it all out of love for the puppy.

Prior to bringing her home we went out and purchased a nice warm soft bed and a woollen mattress to go with it. We wanted to make her happy, warm and comfortable as best we could.

On arriving home our little girl took to her new bed as if she had always slept in it and this amazed us.

A few days later we decided to bring the soft crate we used for our previous dog down from the attic to see how she took to it.
    Another surprise for us as we moved her bed to the inside of the crate and puppy followed it, jumped in the bed and went fast to sleep for the next few hours.

She has been using her crate every day and she goes in all on her own snuggling up in her bed where she will sleep all night. (we have never as yet locked her in the crate always left it open)

At 6 am we open the outside door of the house saying "wee weees" and out comes our 10 week old little lady. Out on to the patio for a pee then runs in to lay at my feet upside down for her belly to be scratched.

Yes, we still have the occasional accident now and then but we blame ourselves not the puppy as we fail to see the signs.

Now please understand I take no credit for the above we did it out of love not knowledge.

We take delivery of another little "Yorkie" on the 8th May lets hope we are as lucky with this one as we have been with the current baby who has never not once, given us a sleepless night.

DSC_1510.jpg

#4 Bwy39, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice