Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Eep, Loki caught a bee/wasp.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Chez87, Apr 21, 2011.

  1. Chez87

    Chez87 PetForums VIP

    Aug 11, 2010
    Likes Received:
    It came through the window as I was getting ready to go to work. He caught it in his mouth and kept catching it in his paws and mouth over and over, I managed to get him away from it in the end and got rid of the bee. (Pretty sure it was a bee not a wasp..)

    He was sitting with his mouth open for a second but he seems fine now, I don't THINK it stung him. I have to go to work now too! Any suggestions if he HAS been stung?
  2. Cazzer

    Cazzer PetForums VIP

    Feb 1, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Lets hope the little monkey hasn't been stung. It is very dangerous if he has been stung in the mouth as can lead to swelling. Sadly I've heard of one cat that died as the throat swelled. I've heard of cats who catch bees on a regular basis whose owners give them half a piriton tablet. I've been meaning to talk about it to my vet to see if this is correct as they will be allowed out soon in a run and its the sort of thing I can see them doing.

    Hope he is ok. I'd ring vet I think
    #2 Cazzer, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  3. Sled dog hotel

    Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

    Aug 11, 2010
    Likes Received:
    I should think if he has been stung he would be going wild and pawing at his mouth to be honest. You do have to be really careful with stings in the mouth and throat as it can cause swelling and cut off airways and can be fatal. Some dogs and cats can get a very severe reaction. Bee or wasp stings are really painful though and I would think he should show signs of pain and distress to be honest.
  4. Paddypaws

    Paddypaws PetForums VIP

    May 4, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Milo is amazingly agile when it comes to hunting flies, bees and wasps! He caught and ate 2 flies in the house this morning in the space of 5 minutes, and I have had to prize his jaws open to liberate a wasp on more than one occasion! I have the Piriton on hand ( please check with your vet in advance ) but am lucky enough to have a vet office 3 doors down if he ever did get stung in the mouth....presuming I am on hand to intervene....
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice