Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eep. Am I dead yet?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 10, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

No? Because I am about to be! :eek: :p :lol: :scared:

Just making arrangements to go and collect..........

A female GSD :yesnod: She was 'rescued' a couple of weeks ago but she is too much. She has had a bad start. They aren't even sure how old she is.

Will probably be one evening this week. :D

Just waiting on a photo.

No idea what she travels like, but its only an hour away. My crate fits in my friends car though so should be ok :)

I have rescue backup (NOT canine rescue! haha! but a nice, small place who actually give a damn)

metaldog and AmberNero like this.
  2. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

bless your heart..what on earth are you like! :D

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Good deeds .. But I would be very careful about bringing strange dogs into the house where there are already dogs and young children..

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

dont worry I am careful.
    new dogs arent allowed anywher near my kids
    and my dogs dont give a monkeys who comes into the house :lol: they love everyone :)

just trying to upload the photo

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

they now say they want her gone asap :( poor girl

[​IMG]

6. momentofmadness

Contact a breed rescue for her.. she doesn't look a youngster..

7. She's beautiful and an old girl. She reminds me of Scorcher actually.

I agree with momentofmadness contact a breed rescue. I can put you in touch with someone if you like.

She is an old girl, she may not take to your current dogs. She needs clear assessing because well at her age its not good if you take her on then have to give her up because she's not good with your dogs or whatever.

You struggled with the last GSD because he was not yours to train while he was young, this girl could well be the same. Scorcher didnt come to me trained and my god its been a struggle to get her sorted.

At the age that girl looks to be at she runs the risk of health problems if she doesnt already. Can you cope with her if after a week of having her she comes out in clear symptoms of HD and needs life long medication and is grouchy towards your dogs because of her pain?

I am not trying to put you down or anything like that but its hard taking on an oldie and you already said you prefared a pup because of the training and how difficult a poorly trained GSD can be.

8. momentofmadness

I really hope that you seek professional help for this dog..

I know myself how easy it is for dogs to have a gripe and turn on another and you get involved..
    I have the scars on my own arm to prove it.. No joke.. i really thought I was gonna bleed to death with the amount of blood pumping out of my arm..

If you want to help dogs.. Why dont you go through a proper organisation.. that assess dogs previously and will only allow you dogs that have been assessed so there is less chance of any mis haps..
    I understand what your trying to do.. But TBO I see it as a huge risk to you and your family and the dogs you already have in your home..

It would be a risk I wouldn't be willing to take as My Family and the pets I have.. Mean the world to me.. What is the point in risking all of this. ?

#8 momentofmadness, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  9. I agree.

I think PoisonGirl you are a star! You clearly want to help this dog. But you need to think of your current dogs and children first. You know nothing about this dog. If she was to attack your dog (because you said your children would not be allowed around her) could you throw yourself in the way and possibly suffer bad injury's?

I fostered for a long time. And I had a staff and a JRT both of which lived with dogs previously and were great. About 3 months into the foster the staff got hold of the JRT by the throat and nearly killed the JRT. She also became very aggressive towards me. Biting me for sitting near my OH.

When we took Scorcher on we had no other dogs and obviously have no children. You put alot at risk when taking on a dog but you take a bigger risk when she isnt assessed. She may not get on with other dogs, may not like children....dogs are strange creatures. That's why rescues who assess the dogs exist so you can say "yes it likes children, no it hates cats" so nothing bad happens.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

No no, I am not keeping her, she needs a quiet life.
    I didn't word my post very well, had been up all day.
    If she gets on with my dogs, then she can stay until she is assessed by the rescue and placed in a home.
    If not, I will be having her here for a couple of days, taking her to the vet and then there is space at the rescue.
    Most likely he alreaddy has someone in mind, they have a few folk waiting on something a bit older. In there just now I think its just a few greyhounds.

This rescue is a proper organisation, I don't want to foster dogs I want to stop the unwanted from going into the wrong hands or thrown out.
    My friend has heaps of GSD experience and I know he will be able to place this girl in the quiet retirement home she needs :)

#10 PoisonGirl, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  11. momentofmadness

I think your missing the point.. You will still be taking a dog that has not been assessed into your home.. whether it be for e a night or 3 weeks..

That is a risk..

I know you want to help dogs, but I think you are going a very risky way round it..

There are loads of dogs I could take in.. But Im afraid what people say when they are getting rid is not always true and you could be inviting a time bomb into your home.....
    So I can't agree with what you are doing.

12. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I saw an ad on Gumtree about a dog like the one you're describing...is it same one?

13. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I agree with you, just look at someone on here recently who took a dog in that ended up being a risk to her dog she already had. :(

I know myself how i want to help all and any dogs i can but a line has to be drawn and my children and dogs have to come before any others, as hard and sad as it is.

14. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Yes...I am that lady.
    I saw the ad for this dog that Poison Girl is referring to on Gumtree last night and as much as her sad tale tugged my heart strings...once bitten and all that. Literally in our case.

15. Pets_R_Me:)

Pets_R_Me:) Guest

Well done for helping, I wish I could do more to help needy animals!

Out of interest, when you mention Canine Rescue, do you mean the place in Dumfries?

16. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I understand why you are so cautious, what happened to you was a tragedy and goes to show you cant just trust what people say when they are trying to re home their dog. :(

how are you and poppy now?

17. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Poppy hasn't been great at all...was all just too much for her. Had her checked out at the vet's but it's not a physical problem. She took to being aggressive with my daughter and the cat...it's just the shock. She's staying with a family friend just now....a retired lady who is happy to just cuddle her on her lap all day. That suits Poppy as she was never interested in "doggy" activities. It's also giving Kyla the kitty a bit of breathing space. We'll see how that pans out. She may never want to come back...I know the lady who has her would love to keep her too.

18. momentofmadness

I really hope things work out for you... Big hugs.. xxx

19. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

im sorry, i hope things work out for you all

20. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Thanks...appreciate that.
    What's best for Poppy will have to be the deciding factor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice