Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eco Friendly Flea Treatment

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gibworth, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Gibworth

Gibworth PetForums Newbie

Hi all

Last year a study was published which showed the impact that flea treatments can have on freshwater habitats. (I would post a link but it’s being blocked by the spam filter)

With this in mind I was wondering if anyone has had positive experiences with alternative approaches? I’m really keen not to contribute to this ecological impact, but I’m equally keen not to have a flea problem in our house. We’ve had them before when we had a cat, although I’m hoping (perhaps foolishly!) our dog might be less susceptible to fleas.

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Gibworth likes this.
  3. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi garlic is meant to help prevent fleas, if you google it it gives you the amounts to give etc also a spray bottle with some apple cider vinegar then filled up with water and sprayed on the dogs fur is meant to repel fleas as the don’t like the smell

4. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I've never used it but diatomaceous earth is meant to kill fleas once they're in your home, it cuts the exoskeletons I think. You don't put it on your pet so isn't a preventative.
    Don't know about the overall environmental impact though as it a mined product as far as I know.

5. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Our pup has a tablet for fleas and worms combined...does that have the same ecological affect as a spot on?

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’ve never systematically treated Jack against fleas and he’s never picked them up in 9 years, so I wouldn’t worry tbh.

ShibaPup and O2.0 like this.
  7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes mine have a flea tablet (Simparica), not a spot on. I have had several flea infestations unfortunately so treat religiously during warmer months.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Same. I only treat if there are actual signs of fleas like flea dirt. Bates is 12 and I think over his lifetime I've treated him maybe 3 times? He has never been able to tolerate spot-ons so I give him a tablet.
    Penny was treated once when we got her back in August, and nothing since.
    I don't treat the cats either and they spend a lot of time outside. No fleas.
    If they do show signs of fleas I use a spot-on with the cats, they're harder to pill than dogs. But they also don't tend to go swimming in the creek after treatment :D

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Mine aren’t treated and never had fleas

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Gibworth

Gibworth PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the responses. I’m tempted to err on the side of risking fleas in order to minimise any ecological impact, so may try some of the suggestions and see how we get on. I think our dog will be less susceptible than our cat was, unless he starts spending 20 hours a day lounging in the long grass, although with him being a black lab we may see any fleas on us before before we see them on him!

One of the comments under the article linked above suggests that tablets should have less ecological impact than spot-on treatments.

It seems that more research is needed to identify how much different treatments affect the environment.

12. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Not trying to cause an argument rather more a debate.

As the OP has good answers, such as only treating their dog if they have fleas. Some natural repellent ideas too. I don't know what the study said about house treatments but I think that's vital in keeping the critters at bay.

Anyway, flea, parasite problems always come up. People don't like using chemicals even though everything is a chemical

How do people feel about using ivermectin in Covid-19 if many have refused to use this on pets?

13. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

I cant say I know much about Ivermectin. Why do people not want to use it with pets? But my initial thoughts would be that generally speaking treating COVID with something is more important than a flea preventative spot on (which I assume is what people don't like using it for...?)

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Some dogs - mainly collies (rough, smooth, border) with the MDR1 gene mutation - are unable to break it down and it can be fatally toxic to them.

O2.0 likes this.
  15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

ivermectin is a wormer, doesn't work on fleas or ticks. We use it for heartworm prevention.
    And as above, it can kill some dogs.

16. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Ah I see! Thanks for the info. I imagine it isn't really the same thing to compare using it as a wormer for dogs and using it on humans for COVID-19 then?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice