Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

EBT or GSD???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, May 25, 2010.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I just cannot make my mind up for my next dog!

It's a long way off yet, another year or so. But still, I don't want to be like ''ok, ready for a dog'' then not know where to go.

I have wanted a GSD for sooo long, but I wonder how one will fit in with my pair?
    Although they both have collie in them, they are surprisingly not very needy for exercise and stuff.
    Sure they can walk miles and miles, and play all day, but miss a few walks and no one is bothered, which has been fantastic while I was pregnant, and just now with little time.
    However when we move I will have more time to walk, I need to get fit again, will be walking my son to and from nursery then school, and there are many more walks to go on.
    When my friends Northern Inuit is here, I feel so tired becaus he is Such a high maintenance dog! Go without his 7am walk? He's bouncing off the walls by lunchtime and too hyped up to play nice with the other dogs in the field! But if I have more walks set up, and a better routine then surely a high maintenance dog wont fel so tiring?

I also have loved EBT's for a long time and always said I would have one.... but what will it be like living with 2 bull breeds? Dave's not exactly the brightest spark, he loves to playfight and Dixie gets annoyed with him. BUT- is having 2 bull breeds going to make that worse for Dixie?

I think Dixie (once she got over the ''scary puppy'') would be great with a GSD, and I also know that Dave and and EBT would be a right pair.

Soo... I have no idea which way to go..

And to throw a spanner in the works, OH says he would quite like an Akita. I have experince with, I use to walk one a few days a week, and trained him a bit, use to look after OH bosses female akita some nights when the pub was busy too.

Sooo.... anyone? Lol

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Oooooh what a flippin question, you picked my two favourite breeds, sorry cant help you with that decision hun :D, I would probably get one of each:lol:.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Hard question. Two bullies might be too rough together and have issues but so could a gsd. Ebts need a lot of exercise too but if you can mental stimulation with them maybe look at obedience/agility for the gsd then you could walk it less

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would, if OH would let me! :D :lol:

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Go for a bullie... I had two and they played wonderful together....one thing i will say is though if it was a puppy ..be prepared for the shock of your life...hyper..they are crazy..and so much hard work..but it all pays off in the end when they calm down at about 3-4 years old....
    Mavis will walk for miles and loves it ..but..if she didn't get out for a walk she would not care less
    Juliex

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My original plan, was to have a GSD next, then rescue a deaf bullie a few years down the line.
    If I was to get a bullie just now though,it would be a puppy. And OMG what colour would I go for?!
    Obviously look at the other more important things first, but Id have loads of ebt's if I could cos I cant choose the colour/markings I like best! Lol!

7. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Depends on the lines of a GSD Dalton needs lots of exercise and a ton of stimulation to stay happy.
    Kane is a lazy moo, but loves a good game of footy on a field, as for training he iant interested, whereas Dalton is a workaholic.
    But i wouldnt be without either of them
    xx

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't get a puppy now with a baby and a small child. I like mostly white ones with eye patches

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I'll be getting the puppy in a year or so, not ready for one yet.

10. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

My first thought was.... oh get a bullie... that way dave and the new addition would bounce off each other and become a great little pair, leaving dixie to enjoy her own company with out being pestered as much.

but in reality, they might both end up trying to play fight with dixie all the time and one dave is enough, with out having his side kick at her all the time aswell :lol:

at the end of the day, what ever you think the outcome will be ,it will most likely end up the complete opposite :rolleyes:

If you love both breeds and you know you could deal with either breed, when the time is right to get another dog, just bide your time and wait for the first "right" dog to pop up, so to speak.

Id defo wait til the little one is out of hospital and home full time before you make any decisions on getting another dog tho, as you really cant tell what your life will be like once the little one is home... you think you will have spare time.. but right now, you have 1 child and 2 dogs.... and it will soon be... 1 child, 1 baby, 2 dogs and a puppy, or 3 dogs.
    The extra time needed to change nappies and the extra time needed for the extra food bowl to put down, twice as many school/ dr appointments etc etc ... before you know it, you are an exhausted mom, with dogs and kids all demanding your time and you go prematurely grey and get award winning frown lines (ps, i know you said , its a long way off before you get a dog, but im just getting carried away with myself here :eek: )

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

hehe Lol yeah, it defo wont be for a year or so. But I dont want the time to come and then not know what direction to head in, or where to look.

I would probably be looking into getting the dog about this time next year.

I have all summer to get ourselves into an established routine, getting up before OH goes to work so I can get the dogs out a walk while he stays with the kids.
    My son starts school after the summer, and the dogs and baby will come on the school run (walk) then I will be taking a longer route home to let the dogs off the lead.
    The new house is a 15minute walk away from the school, where the nursery also is that Anna will be going to once she is old enough. Doctors is also just up the road and I have plenty of people close by to help out, one of our reasons for moving into town.

We are having a dogrun built, a double one with a connecting gate but I will need to seperate them while I am out so they don't playfight all day. The way it will be built it wont be difficult to get an extra run and kennel stuck on the side Lol.

12. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Get a GSD, because GSDs are beautiful and EBTs look like great big white mice.

That is my only contribution to the discussion since I haven't owned either breed.

Hope that helps.

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

:lol:
    I was going to give you a blob for that, it made me laugh. But apparently I need to spread myself around a bit first :eek: :D

I am still hanging slightly towards the GSD I thinkit might be stupid not to, I have wanted one since I was 6.. and although I have had fosters and crosses I have never had my own one.

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

hey........cuddly big white mice please!!!!!!!

juliex

15. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

My GSD can go without a proper walk a day here and their, as long as she is mentally stimulated she is fine.
    For instance since it is so warm at the moment i have been taken her a few stroles for about 20-30 minutes. If it is safe i will let her off leash and we will do some OB work and play with her toy.

other days she will also get of leash run when the weather is good for 1-2 hours.

If i am ill and unable to go a proper walk we play games in the house and she goes and finds treats and toys that i have hidden. I also give her a few kongs and evena meaty bone.

I would love to have another dog, have been thinking about a staffy X :)

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Same with Dixie, being half JRT as well as having collie in her she can get quite hyper... but she has plenty of jobs to help in the house, fetching and carrying things is her fave job.

Im also going to be looking at getting some bits of agility equipment set up at the new house, the gardens long enough for a space lol.

Also hoping to get a trampoline, not only hours of amusement for my son but Dixie Loves bouncing on them! Lol!

17. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

My girls cope just fine with the odd missed walk. In fact, I think that it's possible to make a rod for your own back if you religiously stick to walking the same time of day, every day. Obviously, adequate and regular exercise is a must, but I knew when I got the dogs that having young children might mean their walks might have to be at different times of day/cancelled from time to time.

I agree that mental stimulation is at least, if not sometimes more important/tiring.

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

When Ralphie the NI stays, we have to do a 7am walk before OH goes to work (too much like hard work 3 dogs and my son who does not do mornings!), and come sunday when OH is off, I can't get a wee lie in because they are all bouncing ready to go out! Lol
    Definitely prefer 'random' walk times, they don't ask for nor expect them at a certain time of the day.
    I will make sure not to take them on the playgroup/school run every time or they will expect it so will have to walk them afterwards some days I think!

19. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

GSD everytime. But I'm biased.

20. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I don't really think puppies are suitable for children under 5. If u get a big boisterous pup of either breed when ur daughter has just started walking there is going to be a conflict of interests. But out of both breeds i would choose the GSD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice