Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eating poo

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by littledigger, Nov 15, 2012.

1. littledigger

littledigger PetForums Member

I've just tried to do a search and no threads came up.

Is there anything I can do to stop my 2 year old dachshund eating poo. She came to give me a cuddle and I could smell dog poo on her nose. What am I going to do. She ate poo when she was ill but that was because she was on chicken and rice, and gave up the poo when she got better. But here's no reason for her to eat now, is there? Please help, it stinks.

2. Spendy

Spendy PetForums Member

Karma went through a poo eating phase, but she'd only eat it if she poo'ed indoors.

I actually gave her bits of pineapple and it seems to have stopped (but if I have to be honest, I've been really diligent with taking her out at set times and trying to build up a routine).

I tried the tablets which are meant to make them stop eating their own poo, and it didn't work for me. I think they were called Deter.

I totally sympathise though, especially if your girl is the kissy type :yikes:

3. littledigger

littledigger PetForums Member

She is the lossy type and I usually don't mind it, but not at the moment, lol. I'll try pineapple tomorrow. Thanks

4. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

Maybe she feels she requires the goodness in it?

I had trouble with my BC eating poo for a long time. I tried to catch him when he was at it to say "NO!" and take it off him. I also changed his food. Whether that helped or he just grew out of it I don't know, but i am so relieved.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There are 3 main reasons why they are thought to eat poop. One is diet, some foods have flavourings and things added to give them an apetitising taste and aroma, that pass out and still smells and tastes palatable encouraging them to eat it more. changing to a natural highly digestible diet that produces highly digested waste is said to possibly help.

Another thought is that the diet is lacking in essential vitamins and minerals that makes them do it.

The third reason is thought to be boredom and for attention if they get a fuss and reaction made when they do it.

One remedy is said that putting pineapple in their food can help as the enzymes make it unattractive. This seems to work to varying degrees though but maybe worth a try.

There is something called stool repel um that you can give from 6 months of age onwards.
    M&C Stool Repel-UM

Adding a supplement to the food like bionic biotic may help too
    Probiotic for Dogs | Bionic Biotic | Dog Health Supplement | Pooch and Mutt

and/or depending what she is fed on now, maybe also look for something more natural food wise that is highly digestible.

Other things that you can do is go out with her and be vigilant and pick up the poop as soon as shes done it to break the habit. Also retraining them by distraction and teaching an alternative more rewarding behaviour can also help.
    As soon as she does it if she goes to show interest try disrupting her with an Ahh Ahh, and have favourite treats and get her to come to you when called instead, rewarding when she comes after you get her to sit. Other things that can work are distracting with a squeaky toy if thats her thing, getting her to come to you, and sit first for a treat and then reward with a game. Other things that can work is favourite small dog biscuits in a tin, so you rattle the tin, to distract and get her to come to you and sit for one instead. Eventually after several attempts you should even be able to just watch her and get her to come as soon as she has finished first by standing at the back door then into the house for her treat, you can then go out and clear up, once shes secured inside if shes persistent about trying to get back to it.

Some dogs find cat poo irresistible too, so if any cats come in your garden you will have to look out for that too.

#5 Sled dog hotel, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

My pup has not long stopped chowing down on hers and my other dogs poo. I take her out to toilet routinely and called her away before she even thinks about doing it and clean up straight away once I have put her back indoors. She doesn't even look twice at her poo anymore.

I used to always take her out with my other dog but when I know that one of them is due to poo I take them out separately. I like to feel like I'm setting her up to succeed :D lol

7. jbw54

jbw54 PetForums Member

Max went through that phase even eating Bailey's !!! .... i tried everything but the only thing that worked was cleaning up straight away and distracting him thankfully he has now grown out of it .

8. flosskins

flosskins PetForums Senior

Mine don't eat their own but cat poo is their most favourite thing in the whole world and I have to stand over the litter tray while the cat uses it to stop them!

9. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

I remember once when i went to visit my mum I was watching her blue merle play in the garden out the window. He had a big steamy pooh then turned around and ate it whole. I can still see him doing it and wished I never watched :laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice