Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eating other dog's poo!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by henry, Apr 3, 2011.

1. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hi - can I ask how many people have dogs who eat other dogs' poo when they're out on walks. Henry has started doing this again (he went through a phase last Spring/Summer but it seemed to stop). I have cut his food down slightly the past couple of weeks as I'm trying to knock a little (half - 1kg) weight off him. I did wonder if he was hungry, but his food has only been cut slightly, not drastically, as he doesn't have much to lose.

I'm wondering if it's a habit - it always seems to be the gross orange coloured ones he goes for. He's very sly and by the time you notice it, he's got it in his mouth (sorry!):eek:

He never eats his own - just other dogs and sometimes horse poo. He is fed what I consider to be a very good diet - Acana dry food and Naturediet/Natures Harvest, etc, wet food. Only treats are Fish4Dogs, so it's not that he is deficient in anything.

Anyone else have this problem? Thanks, Claire

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Yup, cat poo, rabbit poo, horse poo. Sometimes other dog poo, although they must find special tasty ones coz all 3 will home in on the same pile!:rolleyes:
    Adam is also a nightmare with poo rolling. He will find a bit and be happily rolling away and if he sees you coming he will pick up his poop, run away from you and then continue rolling!:lol:

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Horse poo is pure nectar, rabbit poo pretty tasty and sometimes other dogs' poo although that is getting much better - just the really disgusting red / yellow stuff seems attractive now. Thankfully he is getting better at leaving it when asked :rolleyes:

4. s4simo

s4simo PetForums Member

Yes, bracken does it all the time. Her favourites being cow, horse and rabbits. She is also partial to rolling in all of the above! Erm nice eh

5. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I still think dog poo is the worst - he always seems to go for "Bakers" poos! Gross!

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Because it is full of stuff that is fairly indigestible apparently so still smells good :eek: Those are the ones Kilo occasionally goes for :nono:

7. bagpuss4

bagpuss4 PetForums Member

yep Horse,rabbits,sheep and other dogs disgusting ;)

8. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

It's a really hard ahbit to break. There's a dog on my local park who does it and she has to wear a baskerville muzzle to stop her :(

9. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Both my girls have eaten poo, Tipsy will wait for Rusty to poo so she can munch on it. She only ever eats his poo though so I don't know why his tastes so special, he eats the same as the rest of them :confused:

Poor boy won't go for a poo now if she's out there cos her nose is right up under his tail waiting for it to drop :eek: he will only do it if I let him out on his own.

10. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Yesterday bell found what we can only think is a small childs "droppings" up on the moors and she rolled all in it about 5 mins from getting in the car for a 4 hour journey home :blink: :( We drove home heaving along the m40 as we couldnt open the windows!!

Friday she found a bit of poo I think it was fox and picked it up and ran off with is! This is a first and turned out to be a weekend for poo fetishes!!

11. henry

henry PetForums VIP

:D:D:D Sorry, but that's so funny - nice to know it's not just me with a dog with vile habits! It's almost every walk now. This week, despite cutting his food down a bit, he didn't lose any weight - I'm wondering if this is due to all his "extra snacks" in the form of dog poo - s'pose it must contain calories!! :blink:

Any more dirty dogs??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice