UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you have cats that bring home mice and shrews, etc?

Do they eat them? My cat eats the entire thing. Starts at the head. Quite often it'll wake me up on a rainy night crunching through the bones (the pelvis I think)... I was under the impression that some of the internal organs were horrible and they generally stop at that point?

Although, Archie does eat some very odd things... Just wondered if anyone else has this behaviour?

G

·
Very normal. "Whole prey" gives the exactly the right balance of flesh to organ to bone. Cats however need good variety of prey so a mouse may not be everything they'd need if they were ONLY eating mice, but if they just hunt them in addition to their food then it's fine. Some animals might eat stomach contents, so might not. A mouse's stomach is so tiny I doubt they'd pick it out. You're talking large game such as deer where a dog or wolf or big cat might avoid the contents. They'd eat the stomach lining however.

I've fed my greyhound fresh, whole, dead rabbits and he's made no conscious effort to avoid the stomach, but no effort to finish it off if you get what I mean.

Your cat is having fantastic, healthy snacks! :D Keep up with the worming though ;)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Mine love to catch and eat mice :rolleyes:

They do tend to leave some entrails though.... Think it's the gall bladder... The same thing gets left every time :lol:

What cracks me up though, is whilst they will happily munch through mouse bones, they won't eat raw chicken bones like ribs or wings.... These I have to mince when I make their raw fed ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They do tend to leave some entrails though.... Think it's the gall bladder... The same thing gets left every time :lol:
We occasionally get a small bit of congealed blood in the morning, but \nothing\ else. He still growls at me when I go near him. As if I want half a mouse!

·
Registered
240 Posts
With my furball Poppy, she usually takes the mice into the house alive & kicking. But usually manage to get them back outside to safety.

But not with the last one she took in, I couldn't catch it. And the following morning came to a headless mouse at the bottom of the stairs. Left everything from the neck down. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sometimes Button eats all of it.. sometimes she leaves the arse end.. sometimes she eats the arse end and leaves the head, sometimes she eats all of it and then pukes it back up :closedeyes:

Sometimes she tortures it to death.. and leaves it next to her food bowl. :confused:

OR sometimes.. she brings a gigantic rat in.. goes under the kitchen units.. dumps it there and while somebody (AKA ME) is hoovering under the units... thinks the hoover is blocked.. pulls it out from under the unit and is staring at Huge fat dead hairy rat :eek:

ORRRRRRRRR she eats a whole bird and leaves it's head on the mat in the bathroom.. of which I step on with my bare feet :closedeyes:

Oh I do lover her :D

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Mine never eat birds..... They just leave their mangled corpses on the stairs :rolleyes:

I think it's a revenge thing, as the chickens are the boss of them :lol:

They rarely leave mice too.... Occasionally a head... Always the entrail... But rarely a whole mouse.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Honey (pictured) will eat everything. Dexter though only kills them and proudly presents them to us... Usually at around 3am. I've lost count of the number of cold, squishy mice I've stepped on barefoot in the night. It's all part of owning a perfect predator I suppose :rolleyes:

Ian F.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My two used to love hunting mice (especially Panda)! Sometimes they would eat them whole and other times they would eat everything apart from these small round green things?:confused1:. Or they would leave them in shoes or on chairs, places where they were likely to get stood or sat on:scared:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honey (pictured) will eat everything. Dexter though only kills them and proudly presents them to us... Usually at around 3am. I've lost count of the number of cold, squishy mice I've stepped on barefoot in the night. It's all part of owning a perfect predator I suppose :rolleyes:
Thats a great pic

·
Administrator
35,985 Posts
Fortunately Archie only has three legs, and he's quite a big cat, so think the birds have the upper hand on him.

He hasn't bought back a bird for a few years (not since the 'budgie' incident...!)
My cats are indoor girls but over the years I have had several 'outdoor' cats and mice brought back in various conditions :rolleyes:
The budgie however rings a very familiar bell with me - a good 35 years ago I had a lovely tabby who really enjoyed hunting :eek: I saw her on the lawn one day with what I thought was a lettuce :confused: Mad cat, I assumed but on closer investigation the 'lettuce' turned out to be a green budgie :eek: Poor thing was long gone :( but the next day there was a notice in our local shop window - Lost green budgerigar ..... :yikes: I never found the courage to reply :001_unsure:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My cats are indoor girls but over the years I have had several 'outdoor' cats and mice brought back in various conditions :rolleyes:
The budgie however rings a very familiar bell with me - a good 35 years ago I had a lovely tabby who really enjoyed hunting :eek: I saw her on the lawn one day with what I thought was a lettuce :confused: Mad cat, I assumed but on closer investigation the 'lettuce' turned out to be a green budgie :eek: Poor thing was long gone :( but the next day there was a notice in our local shop window - Lost green budgerigar ..... :yikes: I never found the courage to reply :001_unsure:
Eek dont think I should have laughed at that:eek:. My mums cat done that with someone's goldfish:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.