Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eating long grass

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LouiseSefton, Jun 6, 2010.

1. LouiseSefton

LouiseSefton PetForums Newbie

Hi there

I would really appreciate some advise and opinions on the matter.

We have two 4 year old Yorkshire Terriers(Rusty and Chloe) and they have just left a 6 month quarintine kennel, as they came from SA with me to the UK. They are generally doing very well but they have a few things that I need to understand in their behaviour and try correct.

They seem to have become herbavores.. LOL. For some reason both of them just want to eat loads and loads and loads of long grass. Whether it is in the garden finding a long piece of grass or on walks they grap massive mouths full. They use to have similar behaviour in SA and I have no idea how to correct this or even why they do this.

Any ideas?

2. rona

rona Guest

Why do you want to stop them?
    It's quite natural, my Goldie does the same, particularly when it's hot.

3. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I have a grass thats called gardners garters in my front and back garden. The dogs alway eat it and i found out from an old lady that walks past that its a remedy for worms. I would'nt swear by it but they do seem to devastate it when the leaves shoot!! Before anyone says anything lol I worm my dogs regularly anyway :)

4. LouiseSefton

Thanks for the feedback.

It is not that they eating grass as much as how they run around madly in circles trying to grap and eat as much grass as possible. It just does not seem like normal behaviour?

5. Delboy

Delboy Banned

My two Goldie's graze on grass I think they think they are cows.:thumbup:

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Ollie does this too. He even eats hay as well. :lol:

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Bella liked chomping on grass too. I leave her do it provided I know the grass hasnt been sprayed with pesticide or anything!

8. LouiseSefton

Thanks for all the feedback..

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice