Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eating her own...... well, read on if you've had your breakfast

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by potatan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. potatan

potatan PetForums Newbie

Not me, the puppy....

Jess (~10 weeks old) sometimes eats her poo. I sometimes find squashed bits in her bedding in the morning where she's carried it there but then presumably got bored and fallen asleep on it.

As far as I'm aware I do everything by the book, I have never scolded her or chided her once for anything on the kitchen floor in the morning, just ignored her and quietly cleared it up. On the other hand, whenever she does anything outside in her preferred toilet place, I'm praising her and giving her treats. She will almost wee on cue now when I take her outside.

So why is she eating her poo? I'm trying everything not to make her feel "embarrased" about doing it indoors. She has also sometimes eaten her poo that she does outside if she's out of sight and I don't get to clear it up first.

All I can think is that she sees me bagging it up and "knows" that it needs getting rid of somehow - do you think I should clean it up so she can't see me doing it?

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,dont panic,its more common than you think!!
    It can be for many reasons,including,as you say,having been told off,learned behaviour from watching mom clear up,and dietry.
    Carry on as you are by not telling your pup off,and praising when pup goes outside.
    Try cleanup the poo when pup isnt looking.
    Does your pup have a crate? if so,check it isnt too big,it should only be big enough for pup to comfortably lay down and sit up,otherwise they will toilet one side and sleep the other.
    What is your pup being fed on? You can try adding some pineapple to the feed,as some dislike the taste of the poo when pineapple has been eaten.
    Alot of pups that do this grow out of it fairly quickly.:)

3. My youngest did that until she were around six month! and worse still she ate the cats too! infact she used to stand behind the cat practically waiting for him to poop! She did grow out of it! but she is still very partial to sheep poop!

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Mine did it to - so don't worry.

I just got quick at picking it up and disposing of it ;)

They grew out of it.

However they still love, horse, sheep, guineapig and rabbit poop :rolleyes:

5. potatan

potatan PetForums Newbie

So just carry on as I am pretty much, and she'll grow out of it? Fair enough.

It just seems so unnatural to us, I guess!

She isn't crated at night, but she is closed in the kitchen (thankfully with a hard tiled floor).

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Harvey did it once or twice, but soon stopped.

Kitty crunchies, and rabbit poo is another matter. :arf:

You can buy something you add to the food which makes the poo taste bitter, if the pineapple doesn't work :)

7. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

My JRT does this she is 15 weeks, she does not care whos poo either i just clean up as quick as possible and keep an eye out when walking as she rolls in it to.:eek:

8. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

At this age, it's most likely a learned behavior from watching her mother. Dams will eat the pups' poo to remove the scent to avoid attracting predators to the den. And as some others have mentioned, this is often outgrown.

You're right that scolding at this point would be very counter-productive to your housebreaking mission, so for now just clean up as soon as she eliminates. This alone will break the habit in many dogs--no opportunity to practice their lovely habit nor any modeling of the behavior from the dam and they forget all about it.

If it continues beyond 6mos-1 yr old, then you need to look at other possible causes. Some dogs who are let alone in the yard will eat poo out of boredom. Sometimes there is a digestive issue so that the dog is not getting enough nutrients out of the food and then eats the poo to have another chance to get nutrients.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice