Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eating ALL the animal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Starlite, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Mostly for the carnivores among our members but vegetarian users welcome too, provided it is RELEVANT to the discussion!!

Ive been thinking alot lately about eating meat, mostly what people's problems are with eating every part of the animal.
    For example, there was a programme on C4 not long ago about how own brand pies and the like have cheap cuts of meat in them we know what goes into hotdogs etc. MRM, every last scrap so they can maximise profits

But would people honestly prefer to eat only certain cuts and have the rest thrown away?
    Even if the meat was organic and British, would you still oppose to eating the cheap cuts, MRM which go into alot of the cheaper foods?

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I object to MRM full stop.

However i dont have any objection to buying the cheaper cuts of meat for my own use or for the use of my pets.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I am a non-meat eater (my OH is a complete carnivore) but I think if you are going to kill an animal for food then every single piece (as reasionably possible) should be used.

I think there used to be a bit more snobbery about eating the cheaper cuts but things have changed (imo) in the last few years with people on tighter budgets & celebrity chefs making 'peasant' foods more appealing.

We don't waste anything in our house - I am far too tight fisted for that! :D

4. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

İ am a strict vegan but also believe that if you are going to eat meat then you should eat and use every scrap - İ also think meat eaters should experience catching and killing there own meat.

scosha37 likes this.
  5. hawksport

hawksport Banned

All of that

6. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I do think that it would be more ethical to use every last scrap - and only a few generations ago it would have been normal behaviour to eat more of an animal than what we do now!
    I have never eaten tongue, or heart, or offel.... but my nan will tell me how her mum made them brawn, tongue, heart and other offel....she does still cook stuffed heart from time to time.

The closest I get is what I feed the dog (pigs ears, trotters, bones, liver/kidneys/heart/tripe).

I do wonder at what stage we started to become squeamish about cuts of meat! I cringe at pigs heads in the butchers window, but Im more than happy to eat a pork chop :confused1:

Like most meat eaters, i am a hypocrite, and aware of that fact, I couldnt slaughter my own meat. I couldnt even kill a fish!

#6 Savahl, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  7. Sarahnya

Sarahnya PetForums Senior

I don't mind cheaper cuts and will eat offal if its tasty (i.e. liver with bacon mmm). I really don't like MRM though, it's nasty! I won't eat overly processed meat such as wafer thin ham or reshaped chicken products so most fast food is out of the equation, this is mainly because they are full of salt/fat and not that good for you anyway, plus they taste rubbish.

8. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I've been a meat-eater since the day I was born, and always will be. :D

Vegans are usually pale... :skep:

9. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Vegans who eat well are not pale!!

10. DIANNE158

DIANNE158 PetForums Newbie

I was a meat-eater too[​IMG]

11. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

I have for a long time given this subject some thought. My cousin is a veggie and her food is delish.

I believe that there should be more of the animal used, and we as public should be tought how to use it, but when you say wastage of an animal, how do you feel about the wastage of its pelt,, it is no longer acceptable to where an animals fur, skin,

I feel I am making an argument and being slightly perdantic but its true to use all the animal and have no wastage you must be prepared to see people wearing them. rabbits, deer, goat, wool we use anyway but it is not only about the meat. :rolleyes:

12. billyboysmammy

13. hawksport

hawksport Banned

All my rabbit skins get used for training dummies for the birds and friends gun dogs

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I try to eat as much different cuts of meat as I can... mostly to broaden my own tastes but I really really cannot stand cuts of meat with a lot of fat on them... it's mostly why I stick to chicken and turkey breasts.

15. I like slow cooking so will always buy the cheap cuts of meat. I also cannot understand why someone would pay £4.50 for two chicken breasts when a whole chicken is only £7.00.

When I buy a chicken, I roast it, save the juices then after nearly all has been eaten I then make soup with the whole carcass after adding back the juice.

After drinking the soup, I continue to boil the carcass for stock which goes into allsorts including the dogs dinners and then I keep boiling the carcass until the bones are about to crumble and feed them to the dogs.

Not a scrap is wasted :thumbup:

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I always buy full chickens... take the breasts off for me and OH eats the rest. He uses the juices to make a gravy but we've never used the carcass... I actually don't have a hob at the minute as my cooker blew and I quickly had to buy a mini oven so can't make my own stock anyway.

Guess I'll just stick to bisto/oxo :p

17. billyboysmammy

if you buy them from the butcher ask them to debone the roast he will take the main carcass out and leave you with a nice plump roast you can slice through completely (well apart from the drumsticks and wings).

Then you can give the carcass to the dogs/cats! :thumbup:

sequeena likes this.
  18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

BBM I didn't know you could do that!! I was going to say I'd like to give the carcass to the furries but obviously cooked bones are a no no.

Thanks! :thumbup:

19. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Nothing more satisfying than catching your own dinner imo, and the fur is great for hats, gloves and scarves :thumbup:
    Shorty loves it when i bring her home a wabbit too

See this is what we do (me, ma, gran etc)
    Ham hocks are sooo nice, ribs with boiled lettuce, mmmm :)

My wee gran lived thru the War and ate EVERYTHING. Whatever got put down we ate lol!

I do wonder about stuff like, SPAM and hotdogs tho.
    I looove hotdogs but then think, hmmm, should i eat this?

20. billyboysmammy

hehe your welcome! Just be prepared for it to look alot smaller (with huge legs and wings lol). Its really deceptive, but you need to remember its solid meat!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice