Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eat your fruit and veggies - 10 per day if possible - Do you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Feb 23, 2017.

?

How many portions of fruit & veg do you eat on the average day

1. none

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 1-3

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. 3-5

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. 5-7

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  5. 7-10

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

So how many do you manage and will the information released today encourage you to eat more?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39057146

Eating loads of fruit and vegetables - 10 portions a day - may give us longer lives, say researchers.

The study, by Imperial College London, calculated such eating habits could prevent 7.8 million premature deaths each year.

The team also identified specific fruit and veg that reduced the risk of cancer and heart disease.

The analysis showed even small amounts had a health boon, but more is even better.

A portion counts as 80g (3oz) of fruit or veg - the equivalent of a small banana, a pear or three heaped tablespoons of spinach or peas.

What counts as five-a-day?

The conclusions were made by pooling data on 95 separate studies, involving two million people's eating habits.

Lower risks of cancer were linked to eating:

• green veg (eg spinach)
    • yellow veg (eg peppers)
    • cruciferous vegetables (eg cauliflower).
    Lower risks of heart disease and strokes were linked to eating:

• apples
    • pears
    • citrus fruits
    • salads
    • green leafy vegetables (eg lettuce)
    • cruciferous veg
    The results, published in the International Journal of Epidemiology, also assessed the risk of dying before your time.

Compared with eating no fruit or veg a day, it showed:

• 200g cut the risk of cardiovascular disease by 13% while 800g cut the risk by 28%
    • 200g cut the risk of cancer by 4%, while 800g cut the risk by 13%
    • 200g cut the risk of a premature death by 15%, while 800g cut the risk by 31%
    Dr Dagfinn Aune, one of the researchers, said: "Fruit and vegetables have been shown to reduce cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and to boost the health of our blood vessels and immune system.

"This may be due to the complex network of nutrients they hold.

"For instance, they contain many antioxidants, which may reduce DNA damage and lead to a reduction in cancer risk."

However, many people struggle to even eat the five a day (400g) recommended by the World Health Organization.

In the UK, only about one in three people eats enough.

Lilylass, Brrosa and kimthecat like this.
  2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I follow the Slimming World plan. Sort of a way of life. And that encourages consumption of loads of fruit and veg.

Sometimes though I just can't face another apple :)

3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I put 3 to 5 . I should eat more veg !
    I usually eat an apple and banana and another fruit perhaps grapes or a plum ,

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  4. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I eat about 7 portions on an average day. Looove me fruit and veggies! :Hungry

5. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Compared with eating no fruit or veg a day, it showed:

• 200g cut the risk of cardiovascular disease by 13% while 800g cut the risk by 28%
    • 200g cut the risk of cancer by 4%, while 800g cut the risk by 13%
    • 200g cut the risk of a premature death by 15%, while 800g cut the risk by 31%
    well thats not very surprising is it? When comparing to those eating none........

6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I probably don't even eat five a day to be honest.

It would cost a fortune in fruits especially unless you are only eating what is seasonal.

In a day I'd probably eat a banana or two, a satsuma/orange or two, and maybe some grapes and strawberries. I do eat mostly vegetable based dinners but it's mostly all cooked or roasted, so probably not as nutritious as raw :)

7. rottiepointerhouse

No its not surprising but there are plenty of studies out there showing that the protection increases as your consumption level increases so one portion is better than none etc etc. This is a study from 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26818377

Lead investigator Dr Oyinlola Oyebode said: "The clear message here is that the more fruit and vegetables you eat, the less likely you are to die - at any age."

She said the size of the effect was "staggering", but added that eating a few portions a day was still better than nothing.

8. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I don't eat fruit. I mean I LOVE fruit but it really bloats me! But daily I generally eat carrot, cucumber, red pepper, tomatoes (guess thats a fruit), onions.. I would say at least 3 or more veg.

9. rottiepointerhouse

Frozen fruits are good too - I have a big serving of those on my porridge during the winter - Tesco do a bag of mixed berries which has things like blackberries and blackcurrants that I wouldn't otherwise buy, 1 kg costs £3. As far as veggies go a mix of some raw and some cooked is best so something like watercress in a sandwich and then a few cooked veggies is pretty good.

10. Muttly

Hmmm, just doing a little work out.

Just the fruit here..

I buy per week:
    6 x Apples £2 (I am an Apple snob lol, this could be much cheaper)
    14 Satsumas £2-3
    400g Frozen Blueberries £2
    400g Frozen Blackberries £2
    4 x Kiwis £1
    Strawberries £1-2.

£10-12 per week on Fruit, not much out of your shopping bill really.

11. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I also think most dont know what serving size is deemed as 1 - and probably eat more than they realise. If asked I would probably say I dont get 5 a day but now I come to think about it I must do.
    Berries in breakfast
    Soup or salad for lunch apple, satsuma
    Stir fry, meat and veg - always at least 2 different veg for dinner most nights.......

canned fruit and veg counts too apparently, and beans pulses can count as 1. So we are all probably way nearer eating 5+ portions a day than we realise

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Documents/Downloads/5ADAY_portion_guide.pdf

rottiepointerhouse, kittih and Muttly like this.
  12. Muttly

I don;t know what a portion is, I think it;s a handful o_O Do you know RPH?

13. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Just posted a link above- varies with veg/ fruit just to be helpful :rolleyes:

rottiepointerhouse and Muttly like this.
  14. rottiepointerhouse

Muttly likes this.
  15. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, but 10 portions of anything seems excessive.
    Think about it, the equivalent of 10 bananas a day in fruits and veggies? Even if all you ate were fruits and veggies, you couldn’t fit that all in. I would like to see a realistic meal plan that includes that much.

Yesterday I had a bowl of oatmeal with blueberries. An apple and a sandwich for lunch (sandwich had lettuce, tom, and hummus), some zucchini bread a co-worker made which was delicious, and pasta with asparagus and sun dried tomatoes for dinner. Even by generous calculations, that’s only 6 servings of fruits and veggies, probably more like four depending on how generous the co-worker was with the zucchini in the bread and if the 2 leaves of lettuce on my sandwich count as a full serving of vegg or not.

I’m all about putting in more fruits and veggies in to our diet, but I’m also about being realistic. And, not to mention, the environmental cost of trying to provide that many out of season fruits and veggies to public demand...

16. Frolicking Ferrets

Frolicking Ferrets PetForums Senior

I just snack on fruits and veg throughout the day, I eat a lot and I'm sure my diet is mostly, apples, pears, raw carrots and raw cauliflower lol

rottiepointerhouse and kimthecat like this.
  17. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I love raw carrots and celery.

Ive become slack with healthy eating lately, been eating too many biscuits and bread.

18. Frolicking Ferrets

Frolicking Ferrets PetForums Senior

Carrots - love

Celery on the other hand - just NOPE!

rottiepointerhouse and kimthecat like this.
  19. rottiepointerhouse

It doesn't have to be fresh - frozen and canned are fine. What the researcher is saying is that the more you eat the more protection is offered - they are not suggesting official guidelines are even increased from 5 per day, just making people more aware of the benefits.

This is mine from yesterday

Breakfast - porridge with 2 handfuls of frozen berries = 2

Snack = Banana = 1

Lunch = baked potato with baked beans (1) and salad of watercress/rocket/peppers/red onion (3) = 4

Dinner = lentil stew (lentil = 1) made with carrots, parsnips, leeks, onion, garlic, mushroom, celery so guess at 3 as not whole portion of each veg, served with broccoli = 4

That makes 11

ETA - I forgot 1 apple and 2 clementines so that makes 13 in total

#19 rottiepointerhouse, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Muttly likes this.
  20. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Unless of course you get hit by a bus, then you'd regret all that time you spent chopping veggies :(:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice