Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Easily digested wet food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by essex spaniels, Aug 22, 2013.

1. essex spaniels

essex spaniels PetForums Member

Its a long story but I have a cat with hyperthyroidism & liver issues, she has a good appetite & is maintaining a good weight, she won't eat dry food anymore & seems quite happy with pouch food but she is having problems with diarrhoea, this might be the food but might be the meds etc so we are going to go down the exclusion road over the next 2/3 weeks but I need to source a wet food that is known to be easily digested, any thoughts?

Helen

2. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Have you tried Nutriment?

Its complete for both cats and dogs but it is raw.
    Chicken is said to be easily digested which is why raw feeders recomend to starting out on chicken when starting with raw.

If you still can't find any recomendations on wet foods I'd highly recomend the switch raw is also said to be good for improving all round health and many of the myths you may have heard are not true.

Wainwrites, JWB and Butchers are very good brands.

3. essex spaniels

They used to eat a bit of raw but won't touch the stuff now :(

4. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

I know a lot of people on here don't like Royal Canin but my 14 year old cat, Jasper, has pancreatitis, diabetes, IBD and a heart murmur and RC Sensitivity wet food has been a life saver for him. At one time he couldn't keep any food down and kept vomitting blood but since switching to RC he has not been sick in the longest time and has started to gain some of the weight he lost.

It might be worth a try.

5. Prowl

Prowl Guest

My dog is the opposite ^^

used to eat dry now she is on raw she won't eat any commercial food on a long basis gets bored of it.

I had a cat who went off her food towards the end I put her on Purelys and she loved it!

I don't know if Applepaws do food for cats but they have real chunks of chicken.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

What are you currently feeding her?

I agree with Prowl that raw (whether totally or only part of her diet) might be a good way forward. There are several pre-prepared raw food suppliers on the market but I am not sure whether any of them really are fully balanced. So, if you want to go down that route and want to rely on preprepared raw (rather than making it yourself) than perhaps feed a couple or a few suppliers in rotation and don't get stuck on just one (same goes for any commercial food in my opinion).

However, once you start reading up on it and once you have sourced your suppliers it really isn't hard to make food yourself... ;)

Prowl, you are a dog person, right? Because Wainwrights don't make cat food (or at least I am pretty sure they don't), the JWB wet cat food isn't that great ingredient-wise and costly to boot, and Butchers classic cat food can hardly be described as "very good". It is cheap, it is easily available but that is where the goodness ends in my opinion. Having said that, all three might be very good dog foods but it just goes to show that being good in one doesn't mean that one is good in another...

PS: Applaws do indeed make cat food but their wet is only complementary, i.e. treat food.

7. essex spaniels

Because of my fussy fart (my other cat aged 18yrs) I have a mix of pouches, gourmet perle, whiskas mini fillets, applaws chicken breast, feringa & catz although they don't seem to enamoured with that last two even though they are 4 times the price if not more!

Her current favourite is the gourmet perle meat duo, although I am not entirely sure that its a high meat content!

I used to feed them orijen & canagan but both don't seem to be that interested in dry food anymore & at their ages I'm not really bothered about what they eat as long as its half decent & helps poss with Jess's digestive problems

Just to add I do have three dogs that are in part raw fed so not against it at all but they have just lost interest with it as they have got older

8. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Specific food intolerances aside, an easily digested food is one made almost exclusively from ingredients a cat is capable of digesting. That rules out your gourmet perle I am afraid.

Some cats do fine with food that can't be digested. It just passes through and (apart from the smell) there seems to be no short-term ill effect. I don't think we understand the long term effects though. Cats need to eat an awful lot of this rubbish and process a lot of calories through the whole GI system into the litterbox. They just aren't designed to work this way.

If you want easily digested foods, you'll have to persuade them to eat the good stuff. Catz and Ferringa should be fine. Also Omnomnom and ropocat. These foods aren't really more expensve you know. The prices are given per kilo but if the manufacturers were forced to give prices per unit of digestible energy, a different conclusion would be drawn.

Raw ought to be best of all. I feed a lot of pork. It has a reputation in some circles for being particularly easy to digest and for rarely causing intolerance. My experience bears that out, though I also feed chicken, turkey, lamb and quail for variety.

#8 Satori, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice