Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Easier to introduce two adults, or an adult and a puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by bowwowwoof, May 1, 2017.

1. bowwowwoof

bowwowwoof PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a second dog, and have a 7 year old rescue mix bitch. I'm wondering whether a puppy or an adult dog, generally speaking, would be the less stressful introduction to the home for her?

I've thought an adult dog might be less stressful as they will at least know their doggy manners and aren't likely to be overexcited, but had a friend suggest that a puppy would be seen by her as less threatening.

Thanks in advance for the help

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Greatly depends on the temperament of your rescue bitch. Is she fine with other dogs and does she have any resource guarding issues? Although my daughter has taken on many adult rescue dogs over the years and they have all got along eventually, I personally think it's easier to introduce a puppy. Adult dogs are usually very tolerant with puppies providing all interactions are well supervised.

Burrowzig likes this.
  3. bowwowwoof

bowwowwoof PetForums Junior

Thanks Twiggy for your response. She does have resource guarding issues with other dogs. I've had another dog in the house before about 3-4 times and although she became mostly okay with him, such that they'd basically ignore each other but still play outside, I've thought to make it such that the second dog will not be allowed on furniture without invitation whereas she is, and I wouldn't leave toys out and I'd give them separate feeding times, in order to minimise any initial conflict. She has snapped before once at a puppy outside who tried to take her food when I'd first got her and didn't know her triggers, though the puppy was several months old and of a large breed and bigger than her.

When buying a puppy, would it be appropriate for me to ask the breeder if I can bring her along to see if she gets on well with any of them to a greater degree than others?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice