Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Earmites

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Natik, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

We have been with maya to the vet as she had browny stuff in her ear and we suspected earmites...anyway...we came back with 5 different things to treat it and im not that sure if she really needs all that stuff.

They gave us antibiotics, painkillers, ear cleanser, ear drops and advocate.

What do u think? Is that the way to treat it? :confused:

2. Sounds like they are covering all the options! The AB's and painkillers are a little confusing though! the AB's incase she has a infection and the Painkillers being self explainatary! does she appear in pain??
    lol
    DT

3. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

no, only when she scratches her ear she whines. I was confused about the ab and painkillers myself. I understand the other things. But then i never came across earmites, thats the first time so dont have a clue.

How do dogs get earmites anyway :confused:

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I use Thornit for ear mites - it's absolutely brilliant and saves a fortune at the vets.:thumbup1:

5. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

th whole treatment is very expensive...it was 70 £ today and they want us to come back in a week time and now cobi starts shaking his head too :(

6. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

That is expensive.:eek:

Our vet charges £18- £22 for consultation and the drugs are usually quite cheap. He doesn't charge much for steroids but antibiotics can be around £8 - £12 depending which ones they are. Some vets actually stock Thornit now but if not you can buy it online at Petmeds.

7. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

I have a feeling they gave us all those tablets for some extra cash :eek:

i will look into thornit....

hubby said the woman said to put the advocate into mayas ear...can that be right? I always assumed u put it on the neck of the dog? :confused:

ahhh...im totally confused :blush2:

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

We took Meg a while back as we thought she had mites,the vet prescribed ear cleaner and Advocate that was all.
    Advocate goes on the back of the neck and treats fleas,parasites,mites etc.
    I hate to tell you this but I think your vet is selling you unnecessary medication.

9. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i think so too... :( thats the first time i wasnt happy at the vets.

She also poked her light into mayas ear that deep she screamed and was frightened and then the vet wanted to muzzle her even though there was no reason for it whatsoever...but we refused.

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Have you spoken to them and voiced your concerns ?

It might be an idea to contact the practice manager.

11. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

no, but i will send hubby tomorrow as he needs to get more advocate for cobi anyway. He will take those tablets back as well as i really dont see a need for them.

It was someone new vet there, but then they have someone new in there everytime we go there lol

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I know that ear problems can be a nightmare to treat, but that does seem rather excessive.

I dont see the need for painkillers, ive never known a vet prescribe those for an ear infection, unless its absolutely horrendous and the animal was suffering greatly.
    Even the antibiotics seem like overkill, considering you have been prescribed ear drops AND an ear cleanser. Some vets are a bit enthusiastic with drugs, especially antibiotics. Oscar can no longer have Synulox as he has had them prescribed excessively over the years.

13. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i have heard of quite a few people saying their vet putting their dogs on unnecessary tablets ... that makes u wonder.

Maya is defo not in pain, only when she scratches her ear she whines a bit.

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

When Oscar had a nail bed infection, my vet ran me up a bill of over £170 just for antibiotics and steroids.

Many of them go for the shotgun approach, rather than a conservative one.

The problem with drugs, is that they may not give you a refund, as legally, once they have been dispensed, they cannot be reused and have to be binned.
    Worth kicking up a little fuss though if you think its excessive.

15. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

£170...wow!

i was saying to oh they might not take the tablets back .... but he is good in talking so im sure he will say something to them anyway.

We will know better next time and question the vets choice of tablets before accepting it..... its just a shame u cant trust a vet these days :(

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

As long as the tablets haven't been opened I think they can take them back because when our GSD had AF we were prescribed loads of medication for him but the same day we decided to have him put to sleep and went back and they refunded all the tablets.

17. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

the tablets are in a little plastic bottle, so i cant proof i havent opened them....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice