Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Early Riser

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by BettyW22, Jun 27, 2020.

1. BettyW22

BettyW22 PetForums Newbie

I have a 6 month old shih-poo who we had trouble getting to sleep to begin with. We’ve got to a good place where him and our older dog both settle in the kitchen and go to bed when we do with no bother at 11pm. However, he wakes at 4-5am every day and cries. If we go down to let them out to the toilet he then thinks it’s play time and doesn’t settle. We are usually up at 6:30 but 4am is getting too early!!! I’ve seen people recommend a kong to put him back to bed but I’m concerned between them they’d fight over it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

What's your kitchen where they sleep like? Sunrise is currently 4.30am, with it starting to get light any time from 4ish, so I suspect that this is what's waking him up now. Is there a way you can make where they sleep darker, to extend the period of being asleep? Do you have blinds in there, an easy way to put up a curtain etc.?

niamh123, Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice