Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Early riser

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lloyd-InDevon, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Lloyd-InDevon

Lloyd-InDevon PetForums Newbie

We got our first dog, a 2 and a half year old rescue (ex-racer) greyhound just under a week ago. Whilst I appreciate it is early days, I'd be really keen to hear some advice on how I might get him to stay in his bed for a little longer in the mornings; Currently he's surfacing around 5am each morning which is a least an hour earlier than we need to get up (more so at the weekend!).
    I have a feeling he may be getting up as the sun starts to rise. Is this a thing, surely not everyone's dog gets up this early in the morning!?
    Thanks in advance for any practical and useful advice!

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I don't have any practical advice, but hopefully i can give you some good news instead! I am sitting here waiting for my dogs to surface at 9.15a.m. one of them is conked out behind the chair i am sitting on. The other is still in her crate and i have not heard a pip from her.

I think dogs generally fit in with the family. During term time, i tend to get up about 7, as does everyone at my house. But the dogs know that that is a busy time for us, they get no attention and it's just not worth stirring.

After a busy time between 7 and 9, the house settles down and that is generally when my dogs surface.

What is good in these school hols, they seem to have adjusted and are lying in til 10 a.m ish!

Early days for your dog. Have you tried just popping a well stuffed kong in at 5 and pottering back to bed? Spin it out an extra half hour?

I think that is what i would do.

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Ps can you darken your dog's sleeping area? My dog in the crate has a cover over the crate like a budgie! She sleeps in a lobby with no windows.

4. Lloyd-InDevon

Thank you for the advice; I have briefly thought about putting up some makeshift blackout blinds in order to keep the (living) room darker for longer in the mornings. I also like the idea about the food puzzle. I guess my slight worry is that once I go down (at 5am) he'll be alert and/or will not settle down again.

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Not if you pre prepare the kong, have it ready. Go down, no lights on. Dont talk. Just pop kong next to dog and leave. He will get the message there is no attention of the human kind at that time.

My dog still in bed!! I am going to get her up in a minute, this is late rising even for me!

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

As well as darkening, maybe think about muffliing the sound of birds etc. Does your dog use a crate? A blanket over the top and sides facing any windows might help, if you don't want blackout blinds.

You could also start training a 'settle' cue (in daytime) that you could start using once your dog knows it.

7. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Congratulations on adopting a Greyhound, beautiful dogs! When he wakes at 5am what does he want, is it food, a pee or just general attention? His routine at the kennels may have meant a 5pm wake up so might be his natural body clock at the moment until he gets used to his new life.
    If he is anything like the Greys I have had you will soon be struggling to get him to surface much before 9 and even then he will be back to bed as quick as possible:D

Lurcherlad and Bugsys grandma like this.
  8. Lloyd-InDevon

Thanks. I think it's possibly a combination of all three - being a first time dog owner I'm not sure I'm identifying the signs well enough. He does like his food and he's only had 1 or 2 wee-related accidents overnight, which I thought was good for his first time living in a house. Although I initially didn't like the idea of a crate - I'm starting to warm to it! That said, he hasn't been in one yet so am wondering if that boat has sailed, so to speak!

9. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Firstly, well done for rescueing, it's a wonderful thing you've done and I'm sure you will find it incredibly rewarding.
    It is very very early days, at the moment and he will have no idea at the moment what's expected of him.

If you are going to get a crate, please make sure you take time to crate train him properly, it should be a place he likes to go, a place he feels is his own safe comfy space.
    My rescue didn't take to a crate at all, the only time he ever ventured into it was 18 months after I'd got him, when we were crate training a new mastiff pup!

If it's not that he wakes you at that time to go out to the toilet then I would be very inclined to do as @tabelmabel
    Suggests and give a Kong or similar, but absolutely no talking to him, touching him, no interaction of any kind.
    it could well be that this early rising is what he is used to from being in kennels, and given time he will start to fit in with your routines.

Everything is new to him at the moment, try to see things from his perspective, as I said he doesn't know what you want from him yet, just give him time.

Torin., Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Greyhounds are pretty chilled out dogs so you will most likely find you wont need a crate.

I had my dogs from pups and the crate was a life saver for me! My older dog no longer uses a crate at all in the house but he still travels in a car crate.

My younger dog uses hers at night and also if she is left at home alone. It is handy knowing she is safe in her crate if i go out and and cant get up to any mischief. She settles really well in it and she also has a car travel crate.

Interestingly, if the car crate is brought into the house for any reason, my older dog will go and sleep in it of his own free will so he must still like it!

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  11. Lloyd-InDevon

Thank you all for your sound advice. I do have to keep reminding myself that he has only been with us for several days so hopefully things will start falling into place as days and weeks pass by.

12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Mine get me up at 4 in the summer later in the winter I go with it because the mornings are beautiful. They do go to bed early though. It's not for everyone!

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  13. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

This is exactly how it is with Woody and I.
    Wasn't like this when I first got him, but he has adapted to my routine and did so pretty quickly really.
    Woody is a very high energy dog too, but will stay in bed nicely settled if I need/ want him to, your greyhound @Lloyd-InDevon is likely to be, as @tabelmabel says, pretty chilled, so I'm sure given time he will be very happy to stay snoozing until you are up and about once he gets used to your routine.

Lloyd-InDevon likes this.
  14. Lloyd-InDevon

A bit of an update; We think he's up at 5am because he needs a wee; As soon as we were aware he was up (whimpering!) he was taken out to the garden where he dutifully went for a wee and was heavily praised for it. I then tried to get him to go back to his bed, he was a little reluctant but eventually settled for around 40 mins. We decided to get up and go about the same ritual as all the previous mornings - give him breakfast, followed by a walk (incorporating his morning constitutional).

I'd like to think that progress has been made, but I'm not clear on what the next steps could be to get him to rest quietly until we're ready for breakfast time...

tabelmabel likes this.
  15. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Maybe get up at 5.00 for a few nights so he learns to expect it, then 5.15 for a few nights, 5.30 for a few and so on, so he is expecting to be let out but being asked to hold a little longer too.

16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

If you feed him shortly after he gets up, and he's a foodie, he may be waking up so he can get his breakfast :) I say that as the owner of many glutton dogs who have a vast array of tricks and behaviors they try to get fed earlier :rolleyes:
    I would make mornings as boring as possible for the first 30 minutes at least. No meals, no walkies (I've also had dogs who get excited to get up and go for the morning run). Let him know that just because you're up doesn't mean anything fun is happening.

If he's having to wee first thing, alter his last wee of the evening, make the evening walk later if you can or do one more pee before bed. Adult dogs will eventually adapt to the household's schedule but it may take his bladder a few days to adjust to the new schedule.

But the basic solution is teach bed manners. By that I mean teach him that when humans are in bed asleep he must be chilled and quiet too. Teaching a bed cue where he goes to lay on his bed, and through repetition he'll learn that bed time for humans means bed time for him.

17. Lloyd-InDevon

Thanks, you've mentioned some really interesting points there. He does like his food and I do think part of his keenness to get out of bed in the morning is linked to his breakfast. It feels like we need to nail the go to your bed command in order for him to be quiet and settle when he's told to go there. I don't think it's necessarily an anxiety thing as he knows we are upstairs and haven't left him.

O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice