Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Early Neutering - Find a Vet Local to You.

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by MoggyBaby, May 20, 2014.

1. BlueHeather

BlueHeather PetForums Newbie

A question here regarding early spaying etc. We are about to bring home (pending a home check on Monday so fingers crossed here please guys) ) two rescue kittens elvis and Doris . names soon to be changed LOL) from the RSPCA. They are 9 weeks old and were spayed last week. I think this is far too young but it is something they do now. is that right. Is 9 weeks too young in your opinion. My other cats have been done much later. Levi and jake were Neutered at months and Holly and Dessi were done at 5 months.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

No, it's not too young in my view. By 5-6 months some kittens are becoming sexually mature so they need neutering before that age.

In addition, most (all?) rescues have found that even if they give out free neutering vouchers with kittens that some people fail to get their kittens done and turn up later with (yet more) kittens for the rescue to find homes for.

If breeders and rescues could be 100% sure that each and every kitten would get neutered at 3-4 months then they wouldn't have to be neutered quite so early, but the sad fact is they can't.

It would only be too early in my view if the vet carrying out the procedure was a stranger to doing it on small kitten as it's a skill in it's own right above and beyond neutering adult and near-adult cats.

3. BlueHeather

BlueHeather PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the input - it's just that they are so little - still it's done now and I know the RSPCA do them this young for a good reason

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Nope, mine are done at 10weeks and I did have a very very huge girl & boy done at 9 & half, they neuter them at 8weeks abroad, have done for years, they will be recovered and totally fine, and so pleased the rspca have started to do this! :) :)

5. Linda2147

Linda2147 PetForums Senior

Personally I don't like doing it to young, I like them to be more mature but my siamese came into heat at 4 months so I had her done two days later and my bengal had to be done before six months so he wouldn't start spraying.

My female dogs I don't do until they have been in heat twice. I think they need those hormones to grow and develop properly. Just my opinion

6. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Your opinion, and nothing wrong with that. :) :)

With cats in particular we do a lot of early neutering purely from the rescue and welfare side of things - the benefits of neutering early to avoid unwanted pregnancies outweigh the drawbacks in many situations.

7. Linda2147

all my animals have been spayed or neutered. Never had an accidental litters. Never had any litters at all. I just prefer to wait until they are fully mature before I do it.

8. Mistyweather123

Mistyweather123 PetForums Member

Bringing home our little boy approx Christmas time, give or take a day or two. Personally, I would like to get it done as soon as, so that it is one less thing to worry about and we can get on with just being us, as a family. We had our little dog done as soon as we could as well, although not quite as early as a cat, but you have that certain peace of mind once its done.

9. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

My vet will only do at 1kg, as a Siamese breeder my babies are quite small, so are neutered when they are approx. 6 months old with their new owner. I have to be very careful I can trust the kittens' owners not to breed without my permission, no problems so far. I asked my vet about this as saw more and more breeders doing it, they explained the 1kg rule is so kittens can keep up their body temp whilst under anaesthetic, and get rid of anaesthetic from bodies quicker so easier to bring them round. Hope that helps explain it. ps, whilst I normally breed Siamese, this summer I had 2 little crossbred kittens from my daughter's moggy and my Siamese stud boy, bit of an experimental mating (kittens homed within the family). Now I'm normally pleading with my Siamese babies to get some solids down them at 6 or 7 weeks (and have spoken to other breeders with same problem), these guys were eating solids (meat and dry kibble) at 3 weeks 1 day old - unbelievable! So cross bred kittens, or big pedigrees like Maine Coons should be fine doing younger.

10. Linda2147

vets don't like to neuter and spay before six months because the growth plates have to close first

11. OrientalSlave

Even at 6 months they haven't closed so that's not why they won't neuter before that age.

My oriental kittens have all been large enough to neuter at just over 12 weeks and have bounced back. They have been late weaners mainly I think because despite her having 6 kittens in each litter lola had lots of milk and let them nurse as much as they wanted though she did demonstrate eating a RWA chicken wing at 3 weeks to her second litter.

12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

How much do your kittens weigh at twelve weeks OS? My vet is happily neutering for the CP younger than that but still won't touch a privately owned cat under 2kg :confused:

13. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

I thought GCCF didn't allow registered kittens to go to their new homes until at least 13 weeks of age, a minimum of one week after their second vaccination?

14. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

TB's kittens don't leave until 13 weeks, she was saying they are neutered before that, at 10-12 weeks.

15. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

They don't :) I said they are neutered between the age of 10-12weeks, BEFORE they leave me :) :thumbsup:

16. m1xc2

m1xc2 PetForums Senior

#36 m1xc2, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  17. OrientalSlave

Ring round the vets near you looking for one who will do it earlier than 6 months - current recomendations are 4 months (CP and others) and some vets will do her pretty much right now. This might help:

Cats Protection | Neutering | Find Vet

18. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Liking the names - nice one!! :thumbsup: Although Severus would have been a good choice too. ;)

How is Lilys weight? If she is also under-nourished like Snape, it may be worth waiting a little bit longer till she gets some meat on her bones. The girly op is more invasive than the boys so some vets usually like the kittens to be about 1kg in weight.

It is definitely worth phoning - or visiting - a few other vets in your area to get their views on this matter and then you can make an informed decision.

19. m1xc2

m1xc2 PetForums Senior

#39 m1xc2, Mar 24, 2015
    MoggyBaby likes this.
  20. m1xc2

m1xc2 PetForums Senior

#40 m1xc2, Mar 25, 2015
    MoggyBaby likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice