Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Early Neutering - Find a Vet Local to You.

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by MoggyBaby, May 20, 2014.

1. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

More and more vets are now offering early neutering for kittens in an attempt to try and reduce the very high amount born every year.

Click this link to the Cats Protection League where simply putting in your postcode will let you know who in your area offers this service.

Cats Protection | Neutering | Find an Early Neutering Vet

If anyone is wondering why neutering is so important to the health of your animal, please read the below thread.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-breeding/140588-reasons-spay-neuters-your-pets.html

[​IMG]

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

More and more vets are now offering early neutering for kittens in an attempt to try and reduce the very high amount born every year.

Click this link to the Cats Protection League where simply putting in your postcode will let you know who in your area offers this service.

Cats Protection | Neutering | Find an Early Neutering Vet

If anyone is wondering why neutering is so important to the health of your animal, please read the below thread.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-breeding/140588-reasons-spay-neuters-your-pets.html

[​IMG]

CoCoTrio likes this.
  3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Yep LOADS more in Essex, 1 when I started, about 6 now! More than happy to refer anyone if they need to know numbers / vets etc :)

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Sadly not all vets on that site will neuter early. My three nearest vets, all of which feature on it, will not before six months when you check direct with them. It seems they have (or have had) staff associated in one way or another with CPL who were keen to put them on the site or they have had a vet who would EN but has now left :( At least that's what they tell me.

5. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

We're on the list. :)

6. lisajjl1

lisajjl1 PetForums Member

Having looked for an early neutering vet for a long time I was quite pleased to see mine have now appeared on there, and in total 6 practices in my city....unfortunately the earliest any of them say they will neuter an owned kitten is 4 months - strange as that is my vets current standard practice anyway and has been for the last five years that I have been with them.

Don't see how they can claim to be now be pro-early neutering then when not doing anything at all different.....or earlier. :(

emzybabe likes this.
  7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

It might be that early neutering is fast becomming more popular and so they are happy to make more of a thing about it. Maybe some folks had issues with this previously and so they preferred to say less on the subject. As a thought....

8. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

So are my vets but they won't actually do it before six months.

9. Azhar

Azhar PetForums Junior

its been 6 months when its been recommended for neutering why all of a sudden is it ok at four months. i mean...does it not impact on the development or something of the cat? forgive if the questiion is silly. i,m new to kittens

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

No it doesn't :) It isn't all of a sudden, this has been done for many many many years! More information in the breeding section here, or google :)

Cats Protection | Neutering | Early Neutering

11. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

It's been done in the US and other countries for over 25 years, it's not new at all. The UK is just slow to catch up with the rest of us.

There's even mention that it was the usual thing to do in the 1900's.

The usual age here is 8-12 weeks, so long as they weigh 1kg.

Winn Feline Foundations study on EN: Early Spay/Neuter

12. Azhar

Azhar PetForums Junior

ohhh i seee...well i went on the above link that shows which vets neuter kittens and found one local to mine. however...mine is a girl kitten so she would need to be spayed...i take it that spaying is not done at 4 months or does this page only refer to boy kittens?

13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

EN applys to all kittens, and it seems to be the us which uses neuter for boys rather than castrate.

14. Azhar

Azhar PetForums Junior

excellent. i was getting worried this page was only for the boys to have the snip and the girls have to wait till the 6 months. i feel thick. sorry for all the questions lol.

15. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

If you don't ask, you'll never know :)

16. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

As long as the girl is of a safe weight to have aenasthetic (sp?) then vets will spay early. They would only delay this if she was particularly small and needed time to grow a bit more.

17. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Not at all, my kittens are neutered before they leave me between 10-12weeks of age, the actual operation takes 2-3minutes for a girl, they are up and eating and playing within a hour, and recovered by the time they are home!! No collar needed and its so quick, I just had 3 girls neutered & 2 boys, you would NOT know that anything had happened, compared to 6 months old or later, and it doesn't affect growth etc, its just sexual hormones, spraying/roaming/fighting/etc etc

I have pictures on my other thread here:

Also Always talk to the Vet, NOT receptionist, they often have zero idea on anything :)

emzybabe likes this.
  18. Azhar

Azhar PetForums Junior

ah thanks very much. i was concerned it was a bit early but ive booked the kitten in to the vets in a couple of weeks that does the neutering at 3 months and they reassured me that it would all be ok and so have u!

19. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Yah! Well done on being a good owner! We need more them! :) :)

20. Twogirlcats

Twogirlcats PetForums Newbie

Also may be worth long at places like The Mayhew animal home for neutering etc. it is low cost and supports a great home for both cats and dogs.
    Neutering - The Mayhew Animal Home

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice