Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Early mornings!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by littleBichon, Apr 12, 2011.

1. littleBichon

littleBichon PetForums Member

Oh dear me. I feel like im on here asking for a lot of help recenlty. :s sorry.

Harry has started to 'play up' on a morning, for the past month or so he has been barking on a weekend around the time I would normally be downstairs on a weekday, now that I dont mind so much as I figured he'd gotten into a routine and he isnt to know its the weekend... however, the past 3 mornings he has started to bark around 5:30am (I am usually downstairs by 6:50) so this is really early compared to what I thought was now his 'routine' he continually barks non-stop until I go downstairs, I have been ignoring his until my usual time of 6:50 to go down and give him his breakfast and go out for the toilet, but i dont know if he feels like he's 'winning' because I eventually go down (i cant not.. need to go to work etc)

He had started to bark after we went to bed early last week but we ignored him knowing that he didnt need the toilet or anything and hes packed that in again.

What happened to my lovely little man that was quiet for 11 hours from when we put him in bed?

Am I doing the right thing ignoring him for as long as we can?

Im going to P@H for a DAP refil as that really helped us when we he was a settling in and hopefully it might help again?

Again im sorry i seem to be on here nagging for advise quite a bit!

2. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Is it because he is older and he just doesn't need to sleep as much? Mine can do 8 hours and he is 1 years.

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

As I've woken up at about 5am last few days, I've noticed 5:30 is when it starts to lighten up here. Could that be part of it?
    Sunshine and it's crazy to be in bed, with such good weather!

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

It could be something simple like the milkman or a fox heading back home via your garden!

Have you tried placing a clock under his blankets - I found that worked for one of my dogs? The constant tick, tock - you feeling sleepy now? :smile:

5. littleBichon

He used to have a clock actually! i might bring it back.

I do wonder if it could be the light.. i try to make it as dark as possible but cant stop the light coming through the window in the door, so maybe thats just it..

I just wish it wasnt non-stop, i worry about neighbours getting bored and starting to complain :glare:

So tonight we are going back to 'puppy' nights, DAP and clock! :)

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I think you might find the morning getting lighter might be doing it. both mine were pups when we were on summer time, and they used to wake as soon as it begin to get light and the birds were tweeting, which was around 5ish. Over the last week even mine are getting more mobile earlier then they were.

Dont know where he sleeps, If its a crate still you could try covering the crate. If its the kitchen and you dont usually draw the blinds or curtains if you have them you could try that. the DAP again is well worth trying, Maybe even putting an old t-shirt or jumper you have worn in the crate/ his bed (as long as he wont eat fabric like one of mine used too) thats an old puppy trick that might help. Otherwise try leaving some chews about, he might even wake up and find them and keep himself occupied for a bit longer.

7. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Little Bichon - you've just described what Poppy has been doing these last few weeks.

She started off with barking after we'd gone to bed, but after checking that she doesn't need the toilet and everything else is alright we started to ignore it and that now seems to have stopped. We do have a routine though. I'm usually at the computer later on in the evening and hubby watches TV. Once he switches the TV off Poppy comes into the sun room (where the computer is) and settles in her bed. Hubby goes to bed. I usually follow 20-30 mins later, she's not asleep and knows I go but she's all relaxed in her bed. I don't speak, just turn the light off and shut the door.

However, she has been barking at 7am (we're retired so usually OH is up first around 8am) and there seems to be no reason for this. We've just put it down to it getting light earlier in the morning. Hubby has resigned himself to the fact that for now he'll get up earlier. We have blinds in the sun room but they're not blackouts, just dim outs so the sun can't shine through but the light gets through. I've just ordered the same blinds for the door (full length glass) in the hope that a little less light gets through but I'm not holding my breath.

8. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

Flo started doing this too! He sleeps in the crate downstairs, covered with a black cotton sheet.

When he barked at 5:30 or so, I would come down and sleep the remainder of the morning on the sofa (in the next room to him). I wouldn't make any contact with him at all, but he'd stop barking and sleep in til I was ready to get up. After a few nights of this, I decided to move the crate upstairs to the landing. Problem solved. He's still strictly forbidden from the bedroom but we get all the sleep we want.

Good luck!

9. littleBichon

Maybe its a case of Bichon's uniting against a good nights sleep? :lol:
    Harry too has a black cotton sheet over his crate, there isnt room on our landing to have it there otherwise i might consider it. I just miss coming downstairs to a quiet little Harry and sometimes i was the one to wake him up! Hopefully they'll realise they're not getting their own way and behave for us? I hope so anyway!

Ill keep you updated

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice