Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Early morning scratching

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Willowkins144, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Willowkins144

Willowkins144 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, Im new to this and need advice!
    I got my cat Willow from cats protection back in July, she is a 1 year 8 month old female tabby. She has settled in well, but has an extremely annoying habit.
    She will scratch the radiator by mine and my partners bed, it is very gentle scatching(not like when she scratches her scratching post) but will always wake us (this is usually around 5am!)I have a bottle with stones in, so will shake this to move her away. She responds to this, but then moves into the hall and begins scratching the bathroom door, we try to ignore her, but she can become very loud. She isn't doing any damage, but its almost like she is hitting the door over and over again. If we manage to ignore her for long enough she then starts to mew, which is a very odd noise, almost ike a call? I dont like having to get up and move her away, as feel this is giving in to her attention seeking? She is generally a very affectionate cat, and loves being around people, she follows us everywhere!
    Just wondered if anyone had had any similar experiences, or has any advice?
    It would be very much appeciated, as we miss our weekend lie-ins! :)
    Thankyou! Sarah.

2. The Minkey

The Minkey PetForums Member

She clearly thinks it's time you were up ;-) My old boy used to rustle any plastic bags he found in the bedroom. I observed him through slitted eyes once and he was just sitting there with paw extended doing a rustle, looking back over his shoulder to see if there was any movement from the bed.

Do you have an old blanket or towel you can drape over the radiator? That might do the trick to stop her scritching at it.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The most likely reason she is scratching to wake you is because she is hungry.

Cats are crepuscular animals, which means they are at their most active at twilight (dawn and dusk), and this is the time when they would naturally feel hungry and go looking for a meal (prey). This is why so many cats are hungry early in the morning.

So if you want your lie-ins the best thing to do is to buy an autofeeder, put some tasty wet food in, and set the timer to open around 4.45 a.m. just before the time she normally wakes you. I am sure you'll find after a meal she will have a wash and go back to sleep.

You can buy the feeders from amazon, and the best ones have little packs you freeze and put under the dish of food to keep it fresh for longer.

I would also recommend you feed her supper last thing at night too.

4. Willowkins144

Willowkins144 PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone, I tried a towel on the radiator, but she just pulls it off! I will definately try the auto-feeder though, it will be a present to myself and willow! :)

5. Tao2

Tao2 PetForums VIP

Over the years our cats have developed a variety of 'entertaining' ways to wake us up at the crack of dawn ranging from the rather unimaginative mewing, to 'the sticking of the head into the husbands open snoring mouth' (I liked that one...), finally onto our latest cat who, when a bit bored in the night took to biting our faces to wake us up so we could give her a fuss. Fuss!?! she got more fuss than she was bargaining for :cursing::cursing::cursing:!
    Clearly cannot advise as am completely incapable of controlling my own cats....

#5 Tao2, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice