Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Early menopause?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ForestWomble, May 28, 2017.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

For a while certain things have been happening that are making me think I'm starting menopause early.

Itchy down below before and after my period.
    Lighter and shorter periods (certainly not complaining about that!)
    Periods have been starting late
    Feeling more emotional and anxious - in the last 4 days I've had 3 panic attacks and I've had episodes of sobbing.
    Struggling to concentrate

Plus others.

I will see the doctor but was wondering if anyone had any advice before then as it's going to be at least a fortnight maybe longer before I can see the dr.

Thanks.

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Maxine67, Lurcherlad and ForestWomble like this.
  3. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

GP can do an hormone blood test which will confirm or otherwise.

I had mine very early for no apparent reason ... GP didn't click - it was the nurse who he sent to me for the bloods that heard my symptoms and said "I'll just do an hormone level test as well". Was totally shocked when that came back positive.

It was years ago but I remember (but everyone is different):

having more periods initially - every two weeks
    itchy arms
    putting over a stone on for no reason
    Going weird - like suddenly deciding I hated one of my best friends!
    Hot flushes that I thought were flu or viruses.

I think the GP initially suspected thyroid problems so they must be similar symptoms.

Lurcherlad and ForestWomble like this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been going through the same thing, and in the end, went to the doctor and had the blood test. In my case, it ruled out thyroid problems, diabetes and, apparently, the hormonal changes relating to the menopause (thoughi only spoke to a receptionist, so I could well be going through the menopause because every time I've asked them for my blood test results it's been "they're fine" lol). So, even if it's not the menopause, it's still worth speaking to your doctor.

Everyone's different, but here's what I am/was going through ... Maybe it will help you feel less alone. Hopefully, you won't feel like I'm hyjacking your thread. If you do, I apologise

I was ... what I would call "antsy" sometimes it felt like I was on an emotional knife-edge, so family were forewarned that if I blew-up at them, it wasn't personal! Far, far too warm at night, in mid-winter (I know it was a mild one ... but seriously? Kicking off a 4.5 tog summer quilt in January? o_O ) Periods just going off on one - no 2 months were the same.

All of those have now settled down for me, except, perhaps the periods, because I just never know when, or if they're going to start, but now I'm jumping at the slightest little thing. Just coming out of a depressive episode (possibly thanks to my fish and taking up crafts again), too.

I have to go back for a smear, but when my periods are completely out of control (seriously, they just went haywire), that's a hard one to book in for.

Maxine67, ForestWomble and Jannor like this.
  5. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

That brings back a memory of having the bedroom windows open even when it was snowing .... know exactly what you mean!

kimthecat, Happy Paws2 and LinznMilly like this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Mine is long gone now but I remember Dr tested my hormones and reading came back normal.
    I'm sure it was the early stages of menopause.

LinznMilly and ForestWomble like this.
  7. ForestWomble

Thank you all for your replies. I'm due a blood test anyway, so I'll ask if hormone levels can be checked too.

Thank you, nope, didn't feel like you'd hyjacked, it does help to know others are going through / have gone through this.

I'm hoping this being too emotional / anxiety being worse will stop soon as this is awful :( Haven't been able to relax all day.

Also been very hot as well, but that may just be the weather.

Sorry to hear you've had a depressive episode, but glad you are coming out of it.

kimthecat and LinznMilly like this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

All of the above but one positive is no period for 2 years! Yay! :D

9. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

It could be for many reasons...sounds like hormones might be low...but worth to find out why...side effects of medication and many other possibilities, so have it checked....

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Twice I went 11 months and then had one. I wasn't pleased.

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

My friend the same - she's just had a second one nearly a year later! :mad:

Mine were agony! So I'm keeping everything crossed! ;)

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think you should be ok but I'll keep everything's crossed for you and hope Mother Nature is kind.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Maxine67

Maxine67 PetForums Member

Don't TE="Mum2Heidi, post: 1064874626, member: 35592"]Twice I went 11 months and then had one. I wasn't pleased.[/QUOTE]
    Dont tell me that! :eek: I've now gone 5 months and keeping everything crossed that it's all over!

14. ForestWomble

I have to admit that if this is early menopause, I won't be sorry!

Maxine67 likes this.
  15. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I would always ask for a copy of your blood tests , don't accept "they're fine"
    sometimes they can be a little below or over and they don't bother to tell you but it could make a difference.

ForestWomble and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. Mercgirl

Mercgirl PetForums Member

I was put on the contraceptive jab in 2002. Never had a period since, even though I had to change to the mini pill in 2013 because of my age. I somehow sneaked through the menopause during those years without noticing, and stopped taking the mini pill two years ago, as it was no longer necessary.

I have to say, the contraceptive jab was amazing. No. Periods. Ever.

ForestWomble and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Dont tell me that! :eek: I've now gone 5 months and keeping everything crossed that it's all over![/QUOTE]

Keep everything crossed but don't be surprised if it's not over. I got so frustrated I didn't bother making a note of my last one, sure there would be another. Now I have no idea when my last period was :-(

Maxine67 likes this.
  18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Keep everything crossed but don't be surprised if it's not over. I got so frustrated I didn't bother making a note of my last one, sure there would be another. Now I have no idea when my last period was :-([/QUOTE]
    I think the general consensus is period free for 12 consecutive months makes a total stop more likely, but not guaranteed.

ForestWomble and Mum2Heidi like this.
  19. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think the general consensus is period free for 12 consecutive months makes a total stop more likely, but not guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

I put far too much emphasis on the 12 months and thought 11 would do.
    My punishment was 11 months x 2 before I went 12 :)

Maxine67, Lurcherlad and ForestWomble like this.
  20. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Yep, me too! Always in the same month. Which is odd when you think about it.

ForestWomble likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice