Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Early Days

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by M1JWR, Oct 1, 2020.

1. M1JWR

M1JWR PetForums Junior

Please for some more details you can see the thread "boistrous"
    I understand things are still early days, and things are progressing in certain ways with tim, i am still learning about his ways, and of course havent a clue much about his past, for those who havent read the other thread, he is a parson russell, he is neutered, i think from a quite early age, from what i gather from his behaviour, i think his past owners did not treat him very well, its a bit like they went to work and put him in a kennel and let him out when they got back, they gave him up when he was about 5 years old and he went to a rescue, he was rehomed for a short time, apparently he escaped twice and attacked a certain dog, dont know what type or anything, and because of that he ended up back in the rescue, we have rehomed him from there about 2 to 3 weeks ago, when he first arrived, he was everywhere and explored everything and there is quite a bit here, and that was just outside, maybe looking for escape, escape to where i dont know, just a guess, then inside house, he explored everything, it was a very tireing day, his pace, bit beyond mine, however he appears quiet at night, he improved the following day, until disaster, he attacked the tv, which is on a shelf and landed badly, after emergency trip to vet and put on initally steroids then some other pills i cant remember the name of, it was originally thought he slipped a disc, he has improved since then and is getting about when allowed pretty well, took him to vet for update saturday and they are very pleased with progress, but still time to take, he has to stay in a small area a lot of the time and a certain amount of exercise is allowed by the vet, she is not sure its a slipped disc as progress is quicker than it would be if it was.
    on to the current behaviour.
    the area where he stays has a baby gate between him and the next room, and somebody is there during the day/evening, he can come out for short'ish periods of a time and the tv switched off.
    he is a friendly chap and knows where to go
    he puddles outside when required if he wants to do one.
    he poo's in the area where he stays, and sometimes outside, still a little incontinant in that area.
    he barks lots, i know terriers do, i think i know what this one is about, at the rescue they would give him treats a lot, i think he is expecting more of that here, not gonna happen, he gets them at certain times, hence barking.
    after his original boistrousness on the lead, he is not keen to go out on lead at all, eg for puddle or a stroll across the lawn, show him the lead and he shy's away. somebody suggested that he will be afraid of being given up again, i cant tell him i wont do that.
    Tail wags up and down not side to side, vet thinks its because he has had a similar injury before, wont argue with that.
    when i come back from work, big greetings from him are the order of the day.
    Attacking the tv, this is the big issue, sound and no picture is no problem unless a dog barks and the he barks too, if picture is there too, dosent really matter whats on, he goes bonkers.
    forgot to say when we took him to vet, he explored every nook and cranny of the practice area aswell.
    some days he appears quieter than others.
    ive had some good suggestions on here for some things, we had a parson russell previously in the past and this one is a totally different person, i dont think tim has any prey drive at all, cannot really address the tv issue until he has got over his ailment, i take it a lot of these are to do with him being a rescue, of course i dont blame him, i blame his past owners, there will be a key to his lock somewhere, i dont know what it is, the thing is after all the years with dogs, some of these things ive never come across before, any enlighteners would be appreciated

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

As you rightly say it's finding the key and with many rescues it isn't always easy. Time and patience.....and remember you are doing your best for him.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Is it vision or sound, do you think, that attracts him to the tv?

Maybe put the tv on a bracket on the wall to prevent any further accidents? Perhaps if it’s in a different position he may not be so attracted to it.

I would then try having the tv on all the time, initially, and at a barely there volume, to see if the novelty wears off, and try to teach him a ‘leave’ with really good treats.

He may have become noisy because he’s been kennelled, or left alone for long periods.
    Treats are for training so, if he barks at you ask him to sit (or whatever) wait briefly, then give him a treat, so that he learns that treats are earned, not demanded. Reward him for doing something and being quiet while doing it.

Don’t over-think about his previous life, and don’t try to compensate him for it. The dog in front of you is what you have to deal with now.

Lurcherlad, LittleMow, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

This. Whatever happened to him before doesn't matter in that you still have to deal with the behavior you have now.
    I have a dog fearful of humans. Given her past, her fear is completely understandable, but it doesn't matter. I have to help her get over that fear now.

If he's a foodie and happy to take treats, I'd use that to your advantage. In fact I'd half his meals and put the rest in my pockets as rewards and reward all the behaviors I like. You can use treats to teach him not to bark, to help his reactivity to the TV, to put in enrichment toys to help his boredom since he can't go out properly yet.... I'd use treats for sure!

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I know I've posted before but ...

FB_IMG_1579943680496.jpg

6. M1JWR

M1JWR PetForums Junior

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Being sensitive to lights and movement like the images on the TV has nothing to do with past abuse or mistreatment. It's a form of shadow/light chasing that some dogs develop. I mean, his previous home might have encouraged the behavior, or maybe he was never exposed to a TV before, but ultimately it really doesn't matter. It's an obsessive behavior that's probably due to anxiety, frustration, and lack of impulse control.

This is a really good article on what your dog is doing - note, using treats is a good way to combat the behavior.
    https://journeydogtraining.com/light-chasing-in-dogs/

8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Can he see the TV from his little area? If so, I'd actually utilise the fact he has to be confined as a training opportunity. And if not I'd find a way for him to be confined or at least on the lead and get training. Get him something that will last him a while - stuffed Kong, filled bone, pizzle, snuffle mat, lickimat etc and have the TV on quietly, and even put a thin sheet over it so there is some visible movement but not full on. And then give him the long lasting treat at a distance where he isn't reacting to the TV but knows it's on.
    I agree that this is a form of shadow or light chasing, probably due to being left before? Dogs who have little stimulation find stuff to keep themselves occupied and light and shadow chasing is a common one. I'd get him using his nose to hunt out food and treats and I'd be using ALL of his daily food allowance in training and activities to keep him occupied and as enrichment.

LittleMow, O2.0 and JoanneF like this.
  9. LittleMow

LittleMow PetForums Senior

I don't have any specific training advice but totally agree with what @Linda Weasel and @O2.0 say about his past and dealing with the dog you have.

My boy had a bad start and I could spend a lot of time imaging all the things that may or may not have happened to him; he is scared of some men, scared of people + water, wouldn't walk on long grass (he does now), shies away from hand coming straight over his head, I could go on. Some of these things maybe inherited, some just his personal dislikes, some maybe from mistreatment. Still I have the dog I have and am working on finding ways to help him feel safe now.

I think dogs tend to live in the moment and your boy is in this moment with you. I've taken a lot of good advice from this forum and I'm starting to see results. I would recommend taking things slowly if dealing with fear based behaviour, and learn to read your dog, learn what he likes, what he loves, what he doesn't, like you say find his key.

Hope he makes a quick recovery and good luck with the TV issue :)

10. M1JWR

M1JWR PetForums Junior

Thanks for all your replies, yes a case of being patient whilst he is recovering from injury and then to tackle the tv issue, its just things we havent come across before, and hopefully in a few months he will be a different dog, shyness of walks aswell, wonder if somebody has whacked him with a lead in the past, oh dear, theres that past thing again !!

11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Did you read the article on light chasing I posted?
    You can start tackling the TV issue now, while he's recovering from his injury - that was caused by the TV issue....

Sarah H and DanWalkersmum like this.
  12. M1JWR

M1JWR PetForums Junior

Yes i have, very interesting, he's due to see vet again on tuesday, will see what she says aswell, he had a little go today, tv was off, only could either have been the reflection from the screen or the only other thing was there was a fly on the screen, a fly !!, nah cant be

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice