Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ear Trauma, help?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 3, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave as hurt his ear :(

There an area bit bigger than a 50p, that is swollen.
    It's not very swollen but this part of his hear is twice as thick as the rest of his ear.

I am sure I remember seeing on some vet program a dog that had a swollen ear needed it drained, because there is nowhere for the blood to go when a blood vessel has burst inside the ear (not IN his ear, inside the actual ear flap).

What do I do? He has a small nick on his ear so I am guess it happened when him and Dixie were playfighting (not allowed but OH was not watching them :nono: )

What do I do?

2. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

If there's a nick then isn't it more likely to be infection than a burst vessel?

I'd keep a careful eye on it and seek vet advice if it worsens. Chances are it will clear up by itself.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If there is a cut there too, it sounds like it is just swollen because of that. I'd apply a cold compress, and see how he goes. As long as it's the ear flap, and not the actual inner ear that has been injured, then I don't see much to worry about.

4. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

it could be an ear hematomas. Max had one that needed draining twice :(

it started small and over night it got really bad. if in doubt take Dave to the vets

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Is it on the ear flap? if so it sounds like a haematoma (sp) your right its like a very large blood filled blister for want of a better description, they do often need draining, not sure if sometimes they can disperse themselves though. Might be an idea to ring the vet first tell him what you think it is and ask what the likelyhood is or should you bring him in straight away.

The only other possible might be an abcess forming?

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

oops I meant the nick is not where the swelling is, the nick is by the edge of the ear flap and the swelling is in the middle... I can fit 3 finger widths between the nick and the swollen bit

7. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

Katie ended up with a hematoma which was drained but she's ended up with a 'cauli' ear (although you can't tell unless you feel it inside the flap). That was a swelling on the ear flap to start with. She hadn't any obvious injury to her ear, but it looked like a big sausage. She was happy for anyone to touch it as it wasn't causing her any pain. Draining it didn't work too good for her as the cartilage shrank a little after it had all healed. I'd contact the vet if I was you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice