Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ear problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Samantha2, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Samantha2

Samantha2 PetForums Newbie

Hi I’m new to the page but I have a 1yr7 month old Rottweiler x shar pei that doesn’t really look anything like a shar pei but most definitely has shar pei ears. Roxy has suffered from ear infections ever sine I have had her from 8 weeks old and has had various different antibiotics to try a clear it up but it just comes back about a month later and now my vets have suggested operating and doing a total ear canal ablation (teca) which I would like to avoid if it is possible as don’t really want to put her through that but at the minute it’s looking like her only option. I’m waiting for an appointment for second opinion at a different vets but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
    Thank you.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you tried Thornit powder?

Magyarmum likes this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Shar pei can have really short and small ear canals which are a breeding ground for bacteria. I agree with trying Thornit powder. What this does is dry it all up rather than continually putting wet gel and liquids down there which keeps the environment how bacteria like it. If that doesn't work then yes, an operation to open them will really help in the long run. Ear infections are nasty and make dogs really grumpy (and hand shy too if the pain is bad enough).

4. Labradoodledoo

Labradoodledoo PetForums Junior

5. Sarah H

Labradoodledoo likes this.
  6. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

What is so different with gundogs, why do gundog people use this in particular.
    Is there a special breed of gundog that you may be referring to ?

7. Sarah H

Errrr no? Just I know gundog people and they swear by it for ear problems. Long hairy eared spanners are prone to ear issues and it seems Thornit is the go-to product for sorting it out.

8. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

We use Otidine ear cleaner to clean Luna's ears. It was prescribed by our vet following an ear infection but can be bought cheaper online. We originally used it weekly then fortnightly. Now we use it every few weeks and have touch wood had no problems since. Her ears are nice and clear and a lovely light pink colour. Also she is happy for us to use it. Hope you find something that works for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice