Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ear Mites

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Gemmie, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Gemmie

Gemmie PetForums Junior

Hi

Took Max to vet yesterday for his final jab and asked the vet to check his ears as he seemed to be scratching a lot. As I guessed he has ear mites and we have been given drops to put in them twice a day. I just wondered how long it could take for them to go? I have read some horror stories online! The drops must be working as they are making the stuff in his ears looser as we keep finding it around the house!Nice! We also have another cat but the vet didnt say about treating her. She has shown no signs of having ear mites-no scratching or anything- and she doesn't go near Max at the mo as she is still too scared. Shld we be treating her too or just keeping an eye on her?
    Thanks again :)

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I believe some of the flea/tick Spot-On treatments also clear up ear mites, though I'm not too sure which ones are used in cats (Stronghold in dogs). Maybe ask your vet about treating all your cats with this? It will prevent as well as cure. Oh and if you have a dog/s, they will need to be done too.

Don't panic, ear mites aren't the end of the world... just more common in cats that go outside and at least the treatments are better these days.

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Thornits good too. I've never tried it on cats but it works well for dogs and it says on the label you can use it for dogs, cats and rabbits.:)

4. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

My cat Tilly had ear mites not long ago and we got given the drops for her ears (which she hated, is your cat any better with them? We had a very sulky cat for hours afterwards!) It took about a week for us to notice a massive difference and for her ears to look ‘clean’ again but the scratching was dramatically reduced within just a few days. After all treatment her ears are now back to normal and she’s fine; hope your cat responds well too.

5. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

earmites are a pain...i would advice to get some advocate as well as they kill of the earmites and prevent of more coming back. I also would clean out the ear with a cotton pad to get all the mites out of there and then apply the drops... :)

6. Gemmie

Gemmie PetForums Junior

Thats good to hear! Our older cat has been treated with the frontlines drops for fleas-shld we treat the kitten with it as well? I wasn't sure if he was old enough to have it on him and whether it wld react with the drops? And yes he hates the drops!He was not his usual hyper self at all last night-he just sat and sulked and he really struggles when we put them in :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice