Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ear infections & hearing

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ackackack, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ackackack

ackackack PetForums Junior

i've noticed my cat has been rubbing her ears for quite awhile and yesterday noticed a bald spot behind one of her ears so took her to the vet.

they said it was a fungal infection and proceeded to clean out hear ears and administer some antifungal cream. while they were doing this with q-tips she started to really struggle and hiss and basically went crazy, so after awhile they put her in a restraining bag type thing and she calmed down and everything proceeded fine.

when we got back i was checking out her ears and noticed the fur near one of them was stained red (they didnt use any red creams from what i could see?) and that ear wasn't moving around in response to sound like the other... her response to certain sounds seems to have slowed down..

i'm a bit worried she has lost some of her hearing! maybe from the struggle while she was being cleaned? or just from the infection (in which case hopefully its temporary)?

has anyone ever had any similar experiences with hearing loss and ear infections??

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

id keep a eye on it and see how things go. It may settle after treatment if you are very concerned id phone your vet and discuse it further. Is your puss cat white by any chance as some cats that are all white can have hearing probs.

3. ackackack

she's a russian blue. the vet said she needs to go back in two weeks to clean/treat again so could just be temporary. but worried as it was an abrupt change and would be sad if she was losing her hearing :frown:

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

they have to be so careful with hearing. It may be she has some wax inside her ear thats dislodged. Fingers crossed her hearing wil be fine after her treatment . But if you are worried id contact your vet sooner.

5. ackackack

just noticed she is shaking her head and looks a bit off balance when she walks which is also a new development :(

6. ackackack

just took her back to the vet. they did a check with her eyes and said her balance must be fine and said if she's moving strangely she must just be bothered by all the work that was done on her ears yesterday. and to give it a few days...
    so we came home, i opened the carrier and she wobbled out, then jumped down off the table and veered to the side :( :(
    hope they are right about this....

7. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

she may have a bit of virtigo as i know we can have probs being a bit off balance when we mess about with our ears. hoping all will be fine when it settles a bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice