Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ear goo

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by merothe, Mar 28, 2011.

1. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

So just now Freya scratched her ear, made a meow, and then when she walked away i noticed some brown drops on the sheet 10-15 little drops. I put some tissue gently against her ear and a little (very little) goo appeared on the tissue.

5 mins later and no more goo now and she seems fine (playfighting with Humphrey happily)

Should i call out of hours vet or wait until the morning? I probably would not have noticed the goo if it werent on my white bed sheets (nice...:glare:)

thoughts?

If she acts strange in the next hour or two i will def call out of hours line but am thinking that if this is a symptom of just dirty ears or something like that then it can wait? She is going to a cattery run by my vets on Thursday so could have a closer exam then...

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Sometimes if they get ear mites they can get a dark brownish discharge with the earmites, will she let you have a closer look to examine the ear properly.
    If it is earmites, then you will need ear drops to kill them, If you have other cats you should check those too. Some of the spot ons I think kill ear mites too, but not all, the ones that do tend to be the prescription only ones from the vet.

3. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Eww yuk :cryin: she is an indoor cat is that possible for mites to appear from no where?

I have looked at her ear - the problem is her hair and skin in her ear is quite dark so its hard to see but nothing looks wrong to me :blink:

But she seems happy enough - falling asleep now and not paid any more attention to her ear - so will call vet tomorrow and go from there.

I hope the cattery wont have a problem taking her if she does have mites or a bug :confused:

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Mites can be spread, so if you have got her booked in to a cattery you will need to find out if it is or not. Whatever it is if its brown discharge coming out of her ear its deffinately not normal, so it needs checking out whatever the cause.

5. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Thanks - a call/trip to the vet tomorrow is in order...sigh I am supposed to be on a pricey conference all day :cryin: hopefully the vets can fit us in without me missing too much of it :rolleyes:

6. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Ha well the vet could find nothing wrong with her so she has no excuse not to go to the cattery tomorrow :nono:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice